• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Recommended HD 5870 for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Napoleon

Hi Everyone,

It's been some years since my last computer build, and I'm looking to choose a Radeon HD 5870 for my upcoming core i7 single GPU system.

I'm most likely going to watercool the GPU after a few months of use, if not immediately.

I was looking at the Gigabyte super OC and thought I read it had better on card power regulation, but don't know if it's worth the extra 100.

Ideally there's some sleeper 5870 I don't know about that oc's pretty well, i'm shooting for 1Ghz/5Ghz with a reasonable voltage. I don't know how these cards handle voltage these days.

Thanks and I appreciate any input and recommendations you can give me about the Radeon 5000 series! My price range is 350-500.

As far as I know....the reference card is the best for overclocking/Modding. I read an article in Maximum PC a ways back how to volt mod the card and update the bios to get a really good OC...its gonna take some extra cooling, but you said water cooling so you are set. ive not read anything recently so someone may correct me.

Reference card is definitely the way to go, especially since most water blocks are made for them.

Reference cards get guranteed software voltage control as well.

Back