• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking advice on choosing a second-hand graphics card for use with CAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Browseruk

Registered
I'm currently using the Radeon 7 GPU builtin to my AMD A10 APU. It is not fast!

I'm on a very limited budget (say £100), and would like to pick up a second-hand GC from (say) ebay. I know nothing about gpus!

I'm looking for advice on how to pick.

I thought that I would find a list of GCs rated by some consistant benchmark number, and then look up each of the ebay offerings within my budget and get an idea of which is best value for money, but that fell flat because all of the lists I found only show the latest and greatest GCs.

I also suspect that there are other considerations?

As a feel for how slow my Radeon 7 built-in is, the CAD I'm using has a fps test, and I get something like 45-50fps, whereas a friend who has a NVIDA Quattro K4200 get 350 to 400fps.

Any guidance at all (except "Spend more money" :) ) would be helpful. Thanks.

It would help to know what CAD program you are using to help determine which card you will need. CAD is a very specific use and the Quattro's are designed specifically for CAD.

SpaceClaim

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Thanks for the pointer to that list. That's exactly what I had looked for and failed to find.

On the strength of that, I'm looking at a ASUSTEK - VIDEO CARDS Phoenix Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5 for £99. It benchmarks 8x faster than my radeaon 7 and roughly twice as fast as my mates K4200 (which lists twice as much.)

Thoughts? Warnings?

When you initially mentioned Radeon 7 I thought you meant the Radeon 7 video card which is extremely powerful at data crunching. Now I realize you mean the IGP in your APU.
As was said the used market is inflated at the moment
If you can post a list of what's available in your price range we could help get you the best bang for your pound.
After searching SpaceClaim, it looks as if it will use CUDA acceleration so you'll want to look at Nvidia cards not AMD which is what you listed in your last post

After searching SpaceClaim, it looks as if it will use CUDA acceleration so you'll want to look at Nvidia cards not AMD which is what you listed in your last post

The version of SpaceCLaim I am using offers 3 rendering apis: Direct3D11, WARP and OpenGL; of which the Direct3D11 is head and shoulders faster 6x to 10x faster than the other 2.

The RX 550 @ £99 is brand new & free delievery from Amazon (preferable to ebay & some guy in Belgium for warrenty/refund purposes) supports DirectX upto 12 along with OpenCL 2.0. OpenGL 4.5 and shader 6.5.

I tried bidding a few second hand (and slightly cheaper) on ebay, but in typical fashion, as soon as I bid, the price went up immediately. After 3 rose to more than £90+£9.99 delivery, I gave up and ordered from Amazon. It'll be here tomorrow.

So thanks everyone. I arrived at a decision.

(Is there a way to mark this thread closed?)

Back