• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I get a new video card or add a second?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flynnst0ne

I've got a 7 year old PC running an i7, 8gb RAM, and a single ATI Radeon 4870 with two Dvi ports. I'm currently running two monitors off the video card and recently purchased a tv which id like to run off the PC as well. Since I'm lacking an HDMI port, should I add a second video card with HDMI for the TV, or buy a budget card with two dvi's and an hdmi? I don't wanna spend a ton, and don't use the PC for gaming.

+1 to wingman99, grab basically any used GPU that meets your budget and has the connections you'd like.

Some questions that need to be raised here.

First, what is your budget for this graphics card? You said you wanted recommendations for a budget card, but didn't really specify what your desired budget was.

Second, how many displays/monitors are you wanting to drive and what resolutions are they at (if they aren't all at the same resolution)?

I'd like to spend around $100...

I have two Samsung LCD's which are run at 1920x1080 I believe, and a new 40" SAMSUNG Led tv which will be used for tv streaming at 1080i/p

Are you sure a 460 can do 3 displays at once? I thought that was only for 6 series and newer?

You could probably find a gt610 or something as a secondary card but it's hard to make recommendations when you could be mixing brands.

Are you sure a 460 can do 3 displays at once? I thought that was only for 6 series and newer?

You could probably find a gt610 or something as a secondary card but it's hard to make recommendations when you could be mixing brands.

This. You can't do more than two displays off of one card until 6XX and newer, but not even all 6XX do it.
I believe only the GTX 6XX support more than two displays.

Grab a GT 710 and call it a day, it supports 3 monitors and runs ~$40.

I read the same thing...that a single GTX 460 can't run 3 displays...

I started looking at the XFX R7 360?

I Guess the GTX 460 will only drive 2 displays at once, if you just want more monitors, two or more cards will work without SLi.
Do you need all 3 connections running the same time on one card since one is going to your TV?

The XFX R7 360 will run a 3 displays at once.

Connecting multiple monitors for AMD Eyefinity technology couldn’t be simpler. There are four easy rules to remember:

1.The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort.
2.The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort.
3.If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it.​
4.Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays.
http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/150

Last edited:
I read the same thing...that a single GTX 460 can't run 3 displays...

I started looking at the XFX R7 360?

The GT 710 is much cheaper and will do everything exactly the same, for your usage, as the R7 360.
Using the GT 710 also doesn't require the usage of an Active DisplayPort adapter (added cost, about $25).

The GT 710 appears to have a VGA, DVI, and HDMI... Since I'm running monitors with DVI connections, and the HDMI tv, I'm assuming a VGA--DVI adapter will be required?

The GT 710 appears to have a VGA, DVI, and HDMI... Since I'm running monitors with DVI connections, and the HDMI tv, I'm assuming a VGA--DVI adapter will be required?
Yes that is why I did not go that way, they are cheap.

Last edited:

Here you go, 2x DVI and 1x Mini-HDMI:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2g_p3_2717_kr_geforce_gt_710_single_slot.html

Yes that is why I did not go that way, they are cheap.

What difference does it make for Flynnst0ne if the GPU is cheap or not?
Would love to hear the logic here.

I was just thinking he would like to save a few pennies and I meant to say there not cheap. The card you pick out 02G-P3-2717-KR would work out good, I was looking at that card also.

Thanks for that. I'm unfamiliar with mini hdmi... Will this also function normally with an adapter to regular hdmi?

The card may come with an adapter, like the picture below, but I can't find an accessory list for it.
If not, any Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable/adapter will work for you. The only difference between the two is physical size.

mini-HDMI-male-to-HDMI-female-adapter.jpg

Back