• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Recover partition/file system (NTFS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

So I upgraded to a SSD and in doing so, decided to make my WD 640 Blacks a RAID0 data drive. Those 2 hard drives were originally the OS and Data drive. I manually moved anything and everything off the drives to others, or so I thought. :(

Turns out, the \ProgramData did NOT get copied in its entirety, even though for some reason the copy on the other drive was using more space AND had a higher file count then the original.

Before I realized that though, I had already paired the drive into a RAID0 in the Intel ICH10r boot-rom. However, luckily I did NOT do anything afterward. The RAID setup was never formatted or even accessed by any OS, and I broke the RAID0 in the boot-rom right after I realized the mistake. So other then pairing them for RAID0, and then breaking the pair, nothing else has been done with those drives.

Unfortunately, when I try to boot up from the original boot drive, nothing happens. When the computer should normally start to boot up the OS, it would just sit there doing nothing. Obviously, something happened to either the boot sector, or the partition information. There is no error message so I'm leaning toward partition or file system problem.

Before I go trying different programs and possible screw something up, does anyone have any recommendations on what to do in this situation? They are both NTFS file systems. I want to recover the ENTIRE partition, not just recover some individual files. Most of the file recovery programs I've tried on other drives tend to not recover any directory or filename information.

WHS to the rescue!

I have the important stuffed backed up on my WHS, so I figured I should just go ahead and restore the drives from backup from the WHS. While reading up on the procedure, I found out I can actually restore individual files from the backups wherever I wish, without having to do a full restore. So I can restore everything I need right to my SSD in the correct folders, with the correct attributes as well (most are hidden/system files). :)

Back