• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help repairing MBR and BCD for Windows Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice work Robert17...

It was Sat morning and noone really moving around yet so I decided to g00gle the issue here some and not rely fully on my rememberance. My thoughts after search are below.

ATAPI support AHCI mode

Support For Motherboard M2N68-VM
http://support.asus.com/faq/Detail....M&p=1&no=0AD8AC56-ADC3-89A7-CA38-8A1659B53479
FAQ
The disk drive numbers may not correspond as expected to the SATA channel numbers when you set up Windows Vista

When I google the M2N68-VM board there are plenty of Optical issues.

Specs for M2N68-VM say there is an AHCI mode. AHCI option mode should appear in
the motherboard bios. However this may require Sata drivers be installed at the beginning of operating sytem installation.

Now the key in all the issues the OP is experiencing appear to occur after flashing bios
for upcoming cpu. Because of the multiple variables that can be experienced, I have my
doubts about typing into a web page will produce a workable answer.

The drive controller should be in AHCI mode for use of an SSD. I read many posts on
the net saying SSD without AHCI can result in early SSD failure.

I expect that the great experiment after bios flash and apparent fubar of drives is going
to require trial and error of installing a Sata driver during the Windows installation. This
is certain to be trial and error with Vista under new bios.

That brings me to this point in the conversation and it is that there are many other
workable motherboards that have not exhibited the oddities of the Nvidia chipset.
There are still AM2+ motherboards with DDR2 ram support available.

Because I have seen over the last 6 years or so many "gotchas" with the Nvidia
chipset...I have moved on from such. OP may do well to do so also. Especially on a
dated platform. I mean you could even ditch the DDR2 ram and get some inexpensive
but supported DDR3 ram and go forward as far as the latest AMD 9xx chipset board for
use with a 965BE cpu which preparation for same with bios flash seems to have started
this problem. Just my take from previous experience and current search of the net and
not seeing what I would call a fix. Well make that easy fix without trial and error of
driver install at operating system install.
RGone...

Last edited:
I have a feeling that the disc issues may have been to do with the media. I found my old Vista DVD and it seemed to work fine for the install no problems. The one I made was created two days ago and seemed to work find each time I was doing a reinstall but for some reason it flipped out and is not working correctly (still need to test this theory going to make another disc and hope it was just the media.)

Will try updating drivers when I am back home from work and see how that goes.

When I went ahci on my last install I had a ton of problems/issues.

When I got this PC I did the install of Vista on it and everything installed no problems at that stage must be something to do with that Bios updated that changed something (have tried to flash it again if there was some sort of problem both times installed w/o a hitch.

Last edited:
Back