• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Help]Unable to run water through loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smozius

Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker here and I've help put together a water cooling PC that my friend wanted to build.

We have the tubing, pump, reservoir, and radiator all hooked up. There are no leaks but whenever we run the pump, we aren't able to get the water to flow through everything.

The radiator is located at the top of the case, with the pump and reservoir at the bottom.

Hardware that is being used -

Swifttech MCP655
Black Ice GTX 360 Radiator
Acrylic Tubing
XSPC GPU mounts
FrozenQ Dual FusionBay Reservoir

Below is a picture of how it's set up.

Last edited:
It looks like it could be kinked in some places. That pump should be way more than enough to run that loop. If you are sure the pump is running, check the tubing while it is powered on.

It looks like it could be kinked in some places. That pump should be way more than enough to run that loop. If you are sure the pump is running, check the tubing while it is powered on.

Looks like its kinked by the 24-pin to me.

Sorry that was an older picture, here is an updated one -
There are no kinks to the best of our knowledge.

The pump pushes water to the reservoir, and the water comes onto the CPU from the raidator. When the pump is turned on it looks like the water moves 4-5 inches forward and stops. It feels like the pump isn't able to move the water all the way. There are some pretty big air pockets that we've tried getting rid of by manually adding fluid and blowing on the tubing, but that did not work.

Any ideas?

Your problem is that the reservoir is AFTER the pump, instead of BEFORE the pump.

can we get a better pick of the res and pump in the bays please, something may be fishy in that area.
bingo shrimpy...

Welcome to OCFs!

Make sure that reservoir is feeding the pump naturally and don't run the pump dry. If the water isn't moving, turn off the pump or you could kill it. From the one picture I see you have the ins and out of the pump mixed up. I can't tell whats connected to what. A picture and possibly a diagram for us would be very helpful.

can we get a better pick of the res and pump in the bays please, something may be fishy in that area.
bingo shrimpy...

Welcome to OCFs!

Make sure that reservoir is feeding the pump naturally and don't run the pump dry. If the water isn't moving, turn off the pump or you could kill it. From the one picture I see you have the ins and out of the pump mixed up. I can't tell whats connected to what. A picture and possibly a diagram for us would be very helpful.

Here is a diagram I put together for how we had it -
We're currently trying to redo it so the resevoir is before the pump. Can you explain why it wouldn't work in our diagram?

Thanks for all of the replies!

Because the reservoir is priming the pump. You were basically starving the pump for water since it didn't have a constant supply from a reservoir.

The fluid in the reservoir lubricates the pump (priming) otherwise you could burn out its motor. Reservoir straight down to the IN of the pump than OUT to w/e. Loop order doesn't matter as long as the reservoir is before the pump feeding it.

In the diagram you recently posted shows that you're trying to force the fluid from the pump to the reservoir. It has to be reversed.

Because the reservoir is priming the pump. You were basically starving the pump for water since it didn't have a constant supply from a reservoir.

Ah okay, thank you.

The fluid in the reservoir lubricates the pump (priming) otherwise you could burn out its motor. Reservoir straight down to the IN of the pump than OUT to w/e. Loop order doesn't matter as long as the reservoir is before the pump feeding it.

In the diagram you recently posted shows that you're trying to force the fluid from the pump to the reservoir. It has to be reversed.

That makes sense, thanks a lot for the help.

We were able to successfully redo the loop to make the reservior first. We unfortunately ended up needing to run a very long tube out and around the case to get the GPU linked without a massive kink :(. It kinda looks; frankenstiney haha.

Here's an updated image with the pump running good -

Um, I see a kink in front of the pump now...

Also, what fluid is that?

Not trying to sound like a ****, but my vote is to tear down the loop, and properly measure everything. That looks like a complete mess, and I see what looks to be more than one kink.

I also advise that after the teardown you get rid of tge coolant and go to your local grocery and pick up a gallon of distilled water for under $1, and order some IandH Deadwater for biocide.

The shortest runs as far as tubing would be best, leaving only necessary slack for say a drain, fill port, or pulling gear from rig.

please go and look at all the pretty rigs all plumbed up and get some ideas.

the raystorm block looks so good all lit up but we can't see it!!!!

You guys should read up the water cooling stickies. You prolly don't realize that theres is more to water cooling than buying a kit and calling it a day.

Don't be afraid to use scissors and cut the tubing the right length to each component. Leave a little flex but not alot or too tight. You'll have to redo the whole loop. If you have the funds I would get a better quality tubing called PrimoChill Advanced LRT. Best tubing in the market. You also should be using distilled water and a biocide like silver kill coil for example.

Reservior (Straight down to the pump) ----> IN (PUMP) OUT ---> GPU (Bottom right hole than out the bottom left hole) ----> to the IN (CPU BLOCK) OUT ---> Either hole radiator IN and than OUT straight across to the reservior. You can have some bend in the tubes but not that much as you guys have done.

You need to use some 45 degree fittings and some 90 degree fittings if need to be. Here's an example of some 45 degree fittings and 90 degree fittings.

Take your time and no need to rush. Do it right the first time.

Yea, I was also going to say that some 45° and 90° fittings would go a long way towards cleaning that up and letting you use a LOT less tubing.

Oh dam that's Tygon 3603 tubing ...... Take another look at your loop and try to shorten out your tubing runs. You should be able to do that complete loop with about 10 feet of tubing and have some left over.

Back