• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help upgrading from Antec 420w true power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djlst

Registered
Title error, sorry, PSU is actually antec 430w Earthwatts version.
http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwave...FUZ4PYX9CE8PZUK78N69KH5FVVFLTDQD&sku=34040090

Hey guys,
After a recent post a few people recommended I have a look at upgrading my psu....

My current 430w antec is running,

AMD Athlon 5600
MSI K9N Platinum (non-sli)
MSI 8800gt oc
4* 1gb corsair ram
4 Raptors
Creative X-Fi Sound
2 DVD drives
Fan controller
up to 5 usb powered devices.

Hope I didn't forget anything important.....

Every psu calculator gives me different results so I wanted to see what you guys think.
I will NOT be buying a cheap brand and efficiency is essential. Pref 80+ or better.

Any recommendations staying under $100us?? or $150au??

Would a quality antec or ocz at 500w do the trick or should I be looking above 600w? Corsair seems a little pricey over here.....
Also what sort of amp output on the 12v rail(s) should i be looking for?

My 420w doesn't get much over 70% but I'm assuming a GPU or CPU upgrade or both would be pushing it a bit much.

Sorry for such a vague newbie question, but I know the 430w antec is pretty decent and want to make sure my upgrade is actually worthwhile.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Well I just stumbled across an Australian site where I can get the Corsair HX-520 or the Corsair VX-550 just within my price range....

From what I can tell the differences are, HX is modular with 3 12v rails and the VX only has 1 12v rail but at 40A....
Here are the newegg links,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Which would you prefer??? Why??

Also very open to other PSU suggestions and Watt/Amp recommendations....

Thanks again!

IMO either would be a fine choice, It really depends on if you prefer modular or not, I have the 520HX in my wife's computer, It was my first experience with a modular PSU and I really liked the ability to easily control wire management.

id hit up the vx550 corsair. its a great psu for its price
if you didnt have those 4 raptors, id say that earthwatts would have absolutely 0 problems powering that setup

Thanks guys!
The 420w is running fine at the moment but I'm thinking of upgrading video and maybe cpu/mb in the near future and was going to get the psu out of the way first.

The antec has been fantastic but the cables are a little short for my CM690 case and make cable management tricky.

Is the OCZ StealthXstream 600W any good??
How would it compare to the corsair models already mentioned??

Cheers guys!

Thanks guys!
The 420w is running fine at the moment but I'm thinking of upgrading video and maybe cpu/mb in the near future and was going to get the psu out of the way first.

The antec has been fantastic but the cables are a little short for my CM690 case and make cable management tricky.

Is the OCZ StealthXstream 600W any good??
How would it compare to the corsair models already mentioned??

Cheers guys!
Pro it's a good psu capible of 700watts, efficiency is 80% at 600w, Con is It has only three SATA power connectors and five regular peripheral connectors and it does not feature a modular cabling system.

Back