• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help...Windows permissions mistake made!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

Hello and thank you...

I recently moved into my girlfriends house, and she has a 5 year old. Last night I created a profile so that she can login to use my computer. I tried to restrict access to 3 of my hard drives, and in the process I disabled access to those hard drives for myself. Can someone tell me the best way to enable access for my account to access that hard drive, and how I can restrict access to those hard drives just for her account please?

By the way, I am using Windows 7 Ultimate

That tells me how to do what I did, which is shown in the first link.....I need to know how to undo that.

Enable the Administrator account and change the permissions for your account through it.

Enable Admin Windows 7

When you log off from your account the admin account will be available to log into.

I'm guessing you have an issue being able to change permissions since they've been revoked for your account.

The best way to get your rights back is this:

Open a command prompt.

Type "TAKEOWN /f x:\*.* /r /d Y"
Where x = the drive letter

That should go quickly and you may get errors but ignore them. Now invoke icacls

Type " icacls x: /grant Administrators:F /inheritance:e /t /c"

ICACLS will rewrite the Access Control Lists (ACL's) in Windows restoring whatever user you wish to have access. Use a built in administrator account to invoke these commands

there is also a program you can install called take ownership. just right click and it will be in the right click menu. i use it for customers computers when recovering data from the drive of a different computer.

there is also a program you can install called take ownership. just right click and it will be in the right click menu. i use it for customers computers when recovering data from the drive of a different computer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is not a stand alone program. It's simply a registry entry that adds the built-in takeown command to the rightclick file context menu. I use this myself but a simple takeown command will not modify the ACL's. Even if you own the file, Windows will still reference the ACL to verify permissions, which is why icacls has to be invoked after ownership is taken.

idk if you are wrong or not it could just be a reg setting i dont remember.

Yeah, it's a .reg file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Windows will show an option to Take Ownership under the Shift-Right Click menu after this.

How do I make this registry entry? I tried the DOS commands, but I keep gettign errors about "Invalid argument option" with the command

Copy what I've posted into a text file (all of the code in the Spoiler field), name it whatever you wish including the .reg suffix, then under
file type select All Files which will allow the file to remain as a .reg file instead of saving it as a .txt file. To run the file adding the keys to your system,
double click the file and click OK/Yes a few times until it's done. Restart Windows... To see the new option, use Shift Right-Click to show the expanded
options menu which will now show Take Ownership as an option.

After rebooting, the drive was still inaccessible :(

Never saw a "take ownership" option in the menu either

Hello and thank you...

I recently moved into my girlfriends house, and she has a 5 year old. Last night I created a profile so that she can login to use my computer. I tried to restrict access to 3 of my hard drives, and in the process I disabled access to those hard drives for myself. Can someone tell me the best way to enable access for my account to access that hard drive, and how I can restrict access to those hard drives just for her account please?

By the way, I am using Windows 7 Ultimate
You dont need to use a .reg file at all.

Simply go into command prompt and type "net user administrator active: /yes"

Log out of your current account and into the default admin account which you just activated.

Then, go to your folder options and give all of the permissions back to yourself. Once you finish this, go back to the account you accidentally removed permissions, and set your perms back to normal through the folder options and take ownership over the hard drives.

Good luck.

If you are taking ownership of the drive (not changing the permissions, these are different things) and it is failing, then I don't think your account is an administrator.

Back