• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Asus P5Q Deluxe! Boot issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSUmaxx

Hi everyone - hopefully someone's up late tonight and is willing to help :)

At stock speeds, everything is great. Board is fast, reboots fine, etc. Specs:

Asus P5Q Deluxe, Bios 1402 beta
Q9550, C1, w/ TRUE & 2xyate loon 120s
Corsair Dominator 2x2GB 1066
Corsair 750W PSU
4870, stock except for fan profile
2 x 640 WD HDDs

Temps are great - everything seems fine. Here are the OC specs:

JumperFree Configuration Settings:

AI Overclock tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 8.5
FSB Strap to North Bridge: auto
FSB Frequency: 400
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: 1066
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: AUTO
DRAM Timing Control: Manual

1st Information :

CAS# Latency: 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay : AUTO
Row Refresh Cycle Time: 55
Write Recovery Time: AUTO
Read to Precharge Time: AUTO

2nd Information :

READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): AUTO
Write to Read Delay (S): AUTO
WRITE to READ Delay (D): AUTO
READ to READ Delay (S): AUTO
READ to READ Delay (D): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (S): AUTO
WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): AUTO

3rd Information :

WRITE to PRE Delay: AUTO
READ to PRE Delay: AUTO
PRE to PRE Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: AUTO
ALL PRE to REF Delay: AUTO
DRAM Static Read Control: enabled
DRAM Read Training: auto
MEM. OC Charger: auto
AI Clock Twister: auto
AI Transaction Booster: manual, level 7, all pull-ins disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.25
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): AUTO
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): AUTO
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.12
DRAM Voltage: 1.94
NB Voltage: 1.24
NB GTL Reference: AUTO
SBridge Voltage: AUTO
PCIE SATA Voltage: AUTO

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew : Disabled
NB Clock Skew : Disabled
Cpu margin enhancement : OPTIMIZED

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 8.5
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled

I think all of that is correct...

Anyways, it is orthos stable for 12+ hours, etc. and everything seems GREAT - until I reboot. When I reboot, it will not post (everything seems fine but I get no video on the screen). I have to reset the BIOS settings by power cycling and it will boot again.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!! :bang head

One more thing to add - when the reboot fails, the GPU fan, which usually spins fast for a second and quiets down while booting, stays spinning faster. Seems like something is getting stuck in a loop... hehe it has been a while since I've been OC'ing and I'm definitely struggling with this new board for now.

Thanks!

Bought this board only 2 days ago OSUmaxx..

There are so many settings it gets a little confisuing at times eh :)

Not sure exactly what is causing it, but i do know that sometimes, if you change something from auto to a value, sometimes it wont boot.

E.G. I tried to make all important settings to maknual so i could OC properly. The mobo wouldnt boot. If i leave them at auto, it works for some reason, at the same value i set it to when i changed it. ... ???

Go figure, but a few people have had that problem with this board.

Also upping the NB voltage doesnt really help your stability i have found and been told, until you get to quite high numbers - 500 ish.... It gets you into windows, but dont help with orthos/prime95...

try DRAM Static Read Control:disable for now and put your memory at 800 for now hope this help's

Thanks for the help w2richwood. I gave that a shot though and instead of booting once into Windows and not being able to restart, it didn't boot at all. Hmm...

Bought this board only 2 days ago OSUmaxx..

There are so many settings it gets a little confisuing at times eh :)

Not sure exactly what is causing it, but i do know that sometimes, if you change something from auto to a value, sometimes it wont boot.

E.G. I tried to make all important settings to maknual so i could OC properly. The mobo wouldnt boot. If i leave them at auto, it works for some reason, at the same value i set it to when i changed it. ... ???

Go figure, but a few people have had that problem with this board.

Also upping the NB voltage doesnt really help your stability i have found and been told, until you get to quite high numbers - 500 ish.... It gets you into windows, but dont help with orthos/prime95...

Haha it is especially confusing because I'm coming off of a DFI LanParty II - a long time ago :)

Interesting - what NB voltage would you recommend? IF I can get this to work correctly, I'd like to park it around 3.6-3.8GHz in the end.

I'll play around with the different settings and put some back to auto. The main thing I was concerned with manually setting is voltages so I'll start by setting those and go from there.

Any other advice would be great - thanks so much!

To add to the confusion - I set all setting on auto except for multi, MEM speed, and the voltages outlined above, and it will let me boot once into Windows but never restart...

not restarting sounds like a power saving option.. have you disabled C1E ? and changed to S4 not S1/S3.

I usually keep my NB at 1.1 since this board has a fantastic PWM behind it - but anything up to 1.28 and your WELL within your limits. This board has fantastic NB cooling. But like i said, this board usually doesnt need any more juice till you get around 500ish

In my case, upping the Vcore usually stabilises things, but i only have an e7200. Dont forget about Vdrop - i usually get around 0.1 ish with zero vdroop..

There is a 1306 modded BIOS that has a better memory table if you think that might help.. I would only use it if you think the BIOS isnt very compatible with your memory..

jayfella - that did it! It was the power settings in the BIOS. I changed according to your recommendations and it posts just fine. Thanks so much! Now I just have to find a good speed to run everything at without too much heat.

Thanks again!

Contrary to popular opinion, running a quad and 4gb of memory, you Will need to up the NB voltage at some point to keep stable, prob also vtt and adjusting gtls are in your future as well to hit the higher clocks. :)

Larry

not restarting sounds like a power saving option.. have you disabled C1E ? and changed to S4 not S1/S3.

I usually keep my NB at 1.1 since this board has a fantastic PWM behind it - but anything up to 1.28 and your WELL within your limits. This board has fantastic NB cooling. But like i said, this board usually doesnt need any more juice till you get around 500ish

In my case, upping the Vcore usually stabilises things, but i only have an e7200. Dont forget about Vdrop - i usually get around 0.1 ish with zero vdroop..

There is a 1306 modded BIOS that has a better memory table if you think that might help.. I would only use it if you think the BIOS isnt very compatible with your memory..

Where is the setting for s4?

Same problem

Where is the setting for s4?

Hi I just set my new system (P5Q Deluxe, Q6600, 2GB RAM Corsair, Tagan 800W, HD4850 Sapphire), and i get similar problem. System starts but no display occasionally!! have to clear cmos, take out rams and video to get it working again .

which settings must I change in power management??

Back