• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with choosing a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MxGaza33

Registered
This is my first ever pc build, so I'm learning as I go! I need to know what power PSU I'm going to require for my build. The spec is as follows:

Corsair 650D case (2x200mm,1x120mm fans)
Asus Rampage III motherboard
Intel i7 970 6 core processor
MSI Nvidia 590 GTX
6GB of Corsair Vengeance Ram (3x2GB)
128GB SSD + 2TB Hard drives
LG Bluray Drive
Intel Wireless N network card

I think that's it everything, what sort of power would this build require?

Thanks

This is my first ever pc build, so I'm learning as I go! I need to know what power PSU I'm going to require for my build. The spec is as follows:

Corsair 650D case (2x200mm,1x120mm fans)
Asus Rampage III motherboard
Intel i7 970 6 core processor
MSI Nvidia 590 GTX
6GB of Corsair Vengeance Ram (3x2GB)
128GB SSD + 2TB Hard drives
LG Bluray Drive
Intel Wireless N network card

I think that's it everything, what sort of power would this build require?

Thanks

Nice build! What's your budget? Modular?

Our sticky list is here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

A nice 560 watt on that list will do fine.

With the 590, 550W would make me, who doesnt like to overbuild for PC's a little nervous. A quality 650W would ease my mind a bit. That card can peak at 350W+ (Furmark) and games around 330W+. Add that to a potential 200W 4Ghz i7 and you are a hair too close for my personal comfort.

Now, move to say an i7 2600k (95W) and overclock that to 4.2Ghz+ for 150W or so you are in better shape.

did you buy your parts already? I question the i7 970 (why not P67 and and 2600k for 1/2 that money and similar performance) and I also wonder why the 590, when a 570 will POUND on games with one monitor and 1920x1200 resolution or less.

Last edited:
My reasoning behind the i7 970 and the 590 is simple, I'm a sucker for new technology! I would hate myself for not buying a 6 core, how a 570 can pound a 590 I dont know (baring in mind the monitor I plan to use is 2560x1600). Would you mind explaining your reasoning behind that?

I stated a 570 will handle anything at the 1920x1080/1200 resolution, not beat a 590. A 590 is a solid choice for 2560x1600 now that we know you are using it. There is a RARE amount of people that use that resolution so thats why I assumed less.

The 2600k performs just as well as the hex in multi threaded apps. THAT is the new technology. ;)

Ah I see. If both the 970 and 2600k were at standard clocks, would the 2600k struggle to compete? Does it have to be overclocked to stand up to the 970?

Short answer, No. Not in a lot of tests, but some an a light overlock will put it right back in line. See for yourself. :)

remember, the 2600k is good for a 4.5Ghz overclock on good air cooling in a blink.

Last edited:
Wow, well that's shut me up! Unfortunetly the 2 parts I've bought is the case and the motherboard, which is a 1366 socket, dam! Unsure what to do now.....

Ah I see. If both the 970 and 2600k were at standard clocks, would the 2600k struggle to compete? Does it have to be overclocked to stand up to the 970?

Additionally the 2600K is about 60% of the cost and uses less power.

PS: When I saw your hardware list, I never saw "Intel" for your 970 and assumed it was the AMD chip. My apologies. :(

Looks like I'm going to be returning my motherboard then! 2600k it is. With a price difference like that for less performance I would be stupid to buy the 970. So my final question(apologies if its a bit off topic), any recommendations on a 1155 socket motherboard?

Just about any will do as this generation, vs s1366 and prior, really isnt mobo dependent.

I have used:

Asrock Fatality Pro
Asus P8P67 Evo
and Gigabyte P67A-UD7 (got a STELLAR deal that expensive board!).

Im sure the Evo will suit your needs just fine (all boards took my CPU to 5.4ghz for benching) and comes in under $200 shipped. ;)

Thats the Pro. Its a step below but still a quality mobo. That Pro will easily take you to 4.5Ghz temperatures/CPU allowing of course.

Right okay, just to finalise before I hit the buy button! The Pro P8P67, with the 2600k, will be able to fully utilise the Nvidia 590? Also how's the onboard audio? Im guessing 4.5ghz is not achievable with the stock 2600k heatsink?

Yes, it can use the 590 just fine. Its a 16x slot.

Onbaord audio depends on you and what devices you listen to it through. If you have cheap speakers/cans, then onbaord is fine. I have $100 Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers and use the onboard and it sounds fine to me.

Awesome, the deal is done! Thankyou so much for your help, much appreciated!

I didn't see it mentioned that the 590 needs a "Minimum 700W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 50A)". Not sure if this holds true for the MSI version, but according to NewEgg this is required for the EVGA 590. Source You can find it under Details > General > System Requirements

Yes. They always overstate what is needed because people buy crappy psu's. Look at think provided, or any other reviews that show actual power consumption.

Yes. They always overstate what is needed because people buy crappy psu's. Look at think provided, or any other reviews that show actual power consumption.

I totally agree with you. Its something I overlooked the first time I saw the specs on the 590. Just wannted to make sure the OP is aware of the manufacturer's recommendations.

Back