• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with cooling and overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grimreaper1989

Hello i am new to overclocking and need some input. I recently oc'd to 4.2 with stock liquid cooler with temps idle at 30/32 and maxed at 68. i ordered a new case (NZXT Phantom Crafted Series ATX Full Tower Steel Chassis) and liquid cooler (Corsair Hydro Series H100 CPU Liquid Cooler). If i overclock to 5ghz will my will my motherboard be able to handle it? Also will this cooler be sufficient enough to keep decent temps?

Specs:
i5 3570k
g,skill ripjaws x 1600mhz (8gb 4x2)
gigabyte z77 ds3h
vertex 4 128gb sdd
1TB SATA III 7200 RPM 3.5" HARD DRIVE
amd readon HD 7870
windows 7 64
GIGABYTE PCI-E 802.11 B/G/N + BLUETOOTH
12-IN-ONE INTERNAL CARD READER
BLACK SAMSUNG 24X DVDRW
CORSAIR CMPSU-600 CX V2 POWER SUPPLY

Thank you to any help and info you can provide.

Last edited:
I doubt the cooler will be sufficient without delidding, assuming the CPU can get there with decent volts in the first place. Its not common a 5Ghz 24/7 3570K.

what is delidding? also i am overclocked to 4.2 with voltage set 1 setting lower then the default stock voltage it was set at and it passed all stability test with intel burn test and prime 95. the intel burn test was tested with everything set to max.

Delidding is taking off the metal 'cap' (IHS - Integrated Heat Spreader) to expose the core to get better temperatures. It voids your warranty and you can kill your CPU by doing it. If you have to ask what it is, it is likely not for you. I would only delid if I was temperature limited, not voltage limited as that would not help.

Voltage at 4.2Ghz does not mean it will be great at 5Ghz. As I mentioned 5Ghz is generally NOT a 24/7 stable overclock with sane voltage applied. You need a really good chip to run 5Ghz daily with Haswell (think 1.4v or below, preferably 1.35v and below)

Your cpu assembly has a cpu, an integrated heatspreader (ihs) with TIM (thermal interface material) between them. Up through the 2600, all the i7' i5's etc. had their cpu's soldered to their ihs's. The i7-3xxx, i5 3xxx, the i7 4xxx and i5 4xxx have a TIM instead.

The transmission of heat from the inner cpu to the outer ihs is adequate, up to a point. After that, your ihs acts like a thermos, just bottling up the heat.

Delidding is when you remove the ihs, take off the glue and the TIM, and reassemble it, preferably with liquid metal. Once the ihs is clamped to the cpu, you put your heatsink on it.

Sounds like a lot of work, right? It's why I have left my ihs undisturbed, and make do with an OC of 4.2 GHz.

well if i even knew how you delidding i would wait for cpu warranty to expire before doing something like that. the reason for overclock is so i can run far cry 3 and watch dogs at max settings. but on can i run it i fail at cpu for those games. the i7 3770 is recommended
(the only 3 games i fail at are farcry 3(cpu/gpu), crisis 3 (gpu), watch dogs (cpu). any suggestions?

Back