• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Corsair H50 Watercooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well for performance to loudness? Say you had to have fans on 100% for a CPU say at 3.0GHz. For the same CPU with the H5O would you still need 100% on the fan(s) to keep it as cool?

Its price for performance, like I said. Those that cheer about it likely dont care about price to performance or havent seen a real w/c loop. And the failed logic (to me) in a concern over the weight of a heat sink with a back plate vs the possibility of a water leak or the pump taking a dump. Both issues are not exactly common, but come in to play with the use of a water system.

EDIT: If I was going to pay $80, Id rather have the Prolimatech Megalehems (or however its spelled) which cools MUCH better than even a push pull H50, please correct me if I am wrong.

Didnt we go over this in the thread you started on this Joe??
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624285

(your white stars are gone? You change something?)

Yeah, I know.... lol... still looks good in some aspects...

Well for performance to loudness? Say you had to have fans on 100% for a CPU say at 3.0GHz. For the same CPU with the H5O would you still need 100% on the fan(s) to keep it as cool?
Its a small rad cooling a warm chip. Most will tell you in the custom world a minimum of 2x120 rad is needed for JUST the i7 920 at 4Ghz with HT. That is to get superior temps than that of an air cooler.

To answer the question, no idea. I just heard push/pull is the wtg on that thing and most (sane) people dont have their fans at 100% anyway. I never did at least when I was on air, and sure as heck dont under water. This system is SILENT the way it is...(3 120mm fans + 3 140mm)

Yeah, I know.... lol... still looks good in some aspects...
It is easy on the eyes... and seriously, to each their own (see my edit on that post)

Your white stars are back! :bday:

Ah so basically it's purely for aesthetic purposes then. I was considering buying one =P Glad I'm not going to make the mistake now :)

+1 as usual to EarthDog =D

H50's pump is pretty quiet, though it gets mega mega hot. Also, it wont be any quieter because it has pump + 2 fans for push pull, i think you would get better with a top air cooler.

Just my 2 cents
Cheers.

Ah so basically it's purely for aesthetic purposes then. I was considering buying one =P Glad I'm not going to make the mistake now :)

+1 as usual to EarthDog =D
naaa, it works, there is just better (air) for the money.

Go large (custom), or dont come at all in the w/c world is my motto. I hoped we helped the OP! :)

Congrats! Solid clocks Joe!

Last edited:
Im using the H50 on my i7 920. Works great, keeps things cool, isnt an eyesore. (IMO)

At 3.8ghz Im getting ~63*c max across the cores at 100% load. (HT Enabled)
Dont get me wrong air coolers will be more reliable, but Corsair seems to stand behind their products quite well.

A quick pic.
DSC_0094.jpg

Just my .02 cents

Let us not forget the heat dump from the pump sitting right on top of the CPU. I don't think it really affects temps that much, but it is still there. There is a reason most custom water setups go res>pump>rad>CPU>GPU>res. There is also the vibration of the pump, which is something that has been brought up with the Swiftech Drive pump/block combo. I don't know how much the vibration affects anything, aside from the screws holding the parts together, but I have read about it being an issue. Also, if the pump fails, the cooler is dead, if it springs a leak, it is worthless. I would much rather be able to replace a block, piece of tubing, pump, res, or whatever the problem is, than to have $85 (last price I remember for the H50) go down the drain because of one small failure.

I ended up getting the Noctua SE2 Dual-Fan CPU Cooler instead of Corsair H50 / CoolerMaster because they were both out of stock..

Yea seems pretty quiet, it's already dropped my load temps by 30'c, and the extra air circulation has also dropped my GPU temps by 10'c on a "demanding" game.

Back