• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with first Custom Liquid Cooling Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CmptrPrgmr

I'm not a noob to building PC's, but with custom Liquid Cooling, I would say that I am.

My new PC that I'm going to be building is going to be really high end. I already almost have all the parts that I want chosen out. I will provide a list of them all.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
i7 4930K (Being Liquid Cooled)
64GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 (OC3 15000)
2x Asus Matrix 7970 3GB (Being Liquid Cooled)
Corsair AXi 1200 (Or just AX 1200)
2x Corsair Force Series GS 240GB (Boot Drive RAID 0)
2x WD Black Series 3TB 7200RPM 64MB (Raid 1 Storage)
Corsair Obsidian 900D

Those are the main parts. As you can see I am going to be using the 900D case, and this image below is what I kind of want the loop to look like. What I'm asking for is all what I need for it to be efficient and work like it's suppose to. I am going to be overclocking if you were wondering.

I just need some help on picking a good WaterBlock, Reservoir, Radiators and Pump.

Here is the image that I have created very quickly. It doesn't look very good at all, I know.

Liquid_Cooling_Design.png

I don't know how big of a Radiator I can use on the bottom because I am going to be using a PSU down there (Kind of ob7vious, but just thought I would state that). I also need at least 2 drive cages being used, so I don't know where they could fit. Maybe they can fit behind the Radiator on the bottom. I do realize that there needs to be room for the Pump and Reservoir.

I also need help with the Loop, as I said that image is just something quick that I thought of. First it goes into the CPU, then into the 360mm Radiator to cool down, then into the 2 GPU's followed by entering the 480mm Radiator on the bottom.

I'm aware that there is Series and Parallel loops and I kind of understand them. It's similar to an electrical circuit I would guess. So if it was Series in the GPU section of the Loop, I wouldn't lose pressure?

What I really need help with is the Tubing and Fittings. I don't know where I should use Tubing or Crystal Link or what else there is. The Fittings are another thing that i'm going to need help with. I want it to look nice and professional as well as neat.

I know I'm asking a lot here, but I'm knew to this era of cooling per say. :)-/)

Another question that I have is that, is the Lamptron FC5v2 capable of running 8 of Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition on one channel? These fans run at 0.18A and the fan controller supports up to 30W per channel.

The way that I'm gong to connect each fan onto one channel is by Daisy Chaining(?) them together using lots of these 3 Pin Y Splitter Cables. I don't know if there is a better way to do, so if there is please elaborate on it.

I hope I covered everything that I needed to. If there is more I will probably ask away. But just to sum it up so you don't need to read through my Giant Novel again, here is what I need help with.

• Compatibility Check (I'm sure everything is compatible)
  • Size of 480mm Radiator I can use on the bottom of the case
  • What Radiators, Reservoirs, Pumps and WaterBlocks to use
  • What Tubing I should use
  • What Fittings I need
  • Where I should use Crystal Link or what ever else there is
  • If I can still fit 2 drive cages in the case
  • How I should configure the loop
  • What Coolant I should use
  • If the Lamptron FC5v2 can handle 8 Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition fans on one channel

Last edited:
Welcome to OCFs!

I have a problem seeing your blue links. If you could kindly change it to a lighter color would help in reading them.

I really hope that helps. I'm sorry, blue was just the natural color that I thought of for a link.

Well apparently we are in a near identical situation.

I have almost everything now to go on with the build except the noctua nf f12s that were backordered and they're still awaiting shipment so could be up to 14 days from now until I can put it all together.

So there's nothing wrong with the order of your loop? Because that order starting from the pump to the first rad and up through graphics and up to 2nd rad then cpu then finally rez is exactly what I was thinking and I was wondering if anyone had objections to it?

I just went with Koolance for everthing. Wanted fully EK but I just wanted to get this system under water right away and Koolance is in Washington I think so even the shipping came here in Alberta before noon the next day and also the price was pretty competitive for all components.

I was really sold when I found the water blocks I wanted came with backplates and they were $79 at that.

I haven't bought anything yet. I'm seeking help first before I buy anything. I'm hoping to get help soon.

I haven't bought anything yet. I'm seeking help first before I buy anything. I'm hoping to get help soon.

Well what do you need to know before you go ahead? I'm about to start my first loop and it's actually so easy and I'm really surprised even. Just have to decide what size of tubing and fittings work for you then it's smooth sailing.

I watch Singularity Computers YouTube channel and he recommends 1/2" ID 3/4" OD and that was my plan but I chose 4 quick-disconnect fittings and they don't have those sizes so I went with 3/8" ID 1/2" OD fittings and tubing.

What's your plan so far? Like I said before my planned flow through the components is identical so I think we kind of have the same things in mind.

Last edited:
Well what do you need to know before you go ahead? I'm about to start my first loop and it's actually so easy and I'm really surprised even. Just have to decide what size of tubing and fittings work for you then it's smooth sailing.

I watch Singularity Computers YouTube channel and he recommends 1/2" ID 3/4" OD and that was my plan but I chose 4 quick-disconnect fittings and they don't have those sizes so I went with 3/8" ID 1/2" OD fittings and tubing.

What's your plan so far? Like I said before my planned flow through the components is identical so I think we kind of have the same things in mind.

Hmmm. I need to know what thickness of a Radiator I can fit on the bottom of the 900D and if I can put a HDD/SSD Cage sideways behind the Radiator. I also don't know what parts I should get. I want to go with Compression Fittings for sure though. I'm also a bit confused on how the Reservoir and Pump get mounted, weather if I need to drill a hole or not.

I'm not a noob to building PC's, but with custom Liquid Cooling, I would say that I am.

My new PC that I'm going to be building is going to be really high end. I already almost have all the parts that I want chosen out. I will provide a list of them all.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
i7 4930K (Being Liquid Cooled)
64GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 (OC3 15000)
2x Asus Matrix 7970 3GB (Being Liquid Cooled)
Corsair AXi 1200 (Or just AX 1200)
2x Corsair Force Series GS 240GB (Boot Drive RAID 0)
2x WD Black Series 3TB 7200RPM 64MB (Raid 1 Storage)
Corsair Obsidian 900D

Those are the main parts. As you can see I am going to be using the 900D case, and this image below is what I kind of want the loop to look like. What I'm asking for is all what I need for it to be efficient and work like it's suppose to. I am going to be overclocking if you were wondering.

I just need some help on picking a good WaterBlock, Reservoir, Radiators and Pump.

Here is the image that I have created very quickly. It doesn't look very good at all, I know.

Liquid_Cooling_Design.png

I don't know how big of a Radiator I can use on the bottom because I am going to be using a PSU down there (Kind of ob7vious, but just thought I would state that). I also need at least 2 drive cages being used, so I don't know where they could fit. Maybe they can fit behind the Radiator on the bottom. I do realize that there needs to be room for the Pump and Reservoir.

I also need help with the Loop, as I said that image is just something quick that I thought of. First it goes into the CPU, then into the 360mm Radiator to cool down, then into the 2 GPU's followed by entering the 480mm Radiator on the bottom.

I'm aware that there is Series and Parallel loops and I kind of understand them. It's similar to an electrical circuit I would guess. So if it was Series in the GPU section of the Loop, I wouldn't lose pressure?

What I really need help with is the Tubing and Fittings. I don't know where I should use Tubing or Crystal Link or what else there is. The Fittings are another thing that i'm going to need help with. I want it to look nice and professional as well as neat.

I know I'm asking a lot here, but I'm knew to this era of cooling per say. :)-/)

Another question that I have is that, is the Lamptron FC5v2 capable of running 8 of Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition on one channel? These fans run at 0.18A and the fan controller supports up to 30W per channel.

The way that I'm gong to connect each fan onto one channel is by Daisy Chaining(?) them together using lots of these 3 Pin Y Splitter Cables. I don't know if there is a better way to do, so if there is please elaborate on it.

I hope I covered everything that I needed to. If there is more I will probably ask away. But just to sum it up so you don't need to read through my Giant Novel again, here is what I need help with.

• Compatibility Check (I'm sure everything is compatible)
  • Size of 480mm Radiator I can use on the bottom of the case
  • What Radiators, Reservoirs, Pumps and WaterBlocks to use
  • What Tubing I should use
  • What Fittings I need
  • Where I should use Crystal Link or what ever else there is
  • If I can still fit 2 drive cages in the case
  • How I should configure the loop
  • What Coolant I should use
  • If the Lamptron FC5v2 can handle 8 Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition fans on one channel

Thanks for fixing the color on the links. I've had time to read your post.

Please read our water cooling stickies to better understand water cooling and what it will take to maintain it. You seemed set on going H20 and seem to know which direction you want to take this so I have confidence you will get through this rightfully so.

We will assist you in picking up to date parts for this cooling system. You have to give us a heads up how you want to go about this. Do you want a quiet system with high cooling performance or you don't care about noise level is many of the questions we would have for you and can be answered by reading the stickies and doing some research.

Here's another great site with information on the components once you're done reading our stickies and get the gest of things.

he recommends 1/2" ID 3/4" OD and that was my plan but I chose 4 quick-disconnect fittings and they don't have those sizes so I went with 3/8" ID 1/2" OD fittings and tubing.

There are 1/2" 3/4" QDCs. I use them. Not sure if you meant to say they weren't in stock maybe?

Hmmm. I need to know what thickness of a Radiator I can fit on the bottom of the 900D and if I can put a HDD/SSD Cage sideways behind the Radiator. I also don't know what parts I should get. I want to go with Compression Fittings for sure though. I'm also a bit confused on how the Reservoir and Pump get mounted, weather if I need to drill a hole or not.

Well you have just shy of 9 inches from mount to mount in the basement area:
20131115_185418_zps3ef45593.jpg

My radiators are both quadruple 120's, I don't like 360 up top because there is 4 fan mounts up there and once it's all in there will be a hole above drive bays. They aren't too thick either, again because I decided to get everything from one store and they only have different fins-per-inch differences - mine being the 30 FPI, I may get at least one super rad in the future - we'll see how these ones perform.

Reservoir is going to be mounted to the HDD bay that like so:
20131115_182237_zps87ef26d8.jpg
20131115_185932_zps0b78fd54.jpg
20131115_185958_zps1921da1c.jpg

And I also decided to mount my HDD bay that has the hot-swap wires built-in underneath the drive bays like this:
20131115_190026_zps284f8380.jpg
That leaves plenty of space in the basement and we'll see if I can mount to rez there and still use that last drive bay, right now only 2 SSD's in RAID 0 so I won't have to worry anyways.

I made myself this little tube to make draining the system easy and without need to add a port into the loop. I used a quick-disconnect fitting that I can just pop off the fitting from the bottom graphics card, then connect this little piece below and drain the system.
20131115_182127_zps9642a57e.jpg

Please, anything I can help you with don't be shy to ask. I have everything except for the 13 fans coming from NCIX on Monday hopefully, so if you want me to take measurements of the 900D I'd be happy to help you.

Damnit I just realized I have 4 of the wrong kind of male quick disconnects.. I need the ones with the thread to screw into the blocks..

They are back-ordered right now too :(

When you put in the PSU, could you meassure from it to where the Radiator and Fans are mounted. I need at least 104mm. The 480mm BlackIce Xtreme Radiator is 54mm thick, and the fans are 25mm thick plus I'm doing push pull so that is 50mm. Also, for the top, I'm going to be using an optical drive, so right now using a 480mm Radiator at top isn't an option. Could you please meassure from the top to the top of the motherboard. I want to make sure that I can plug in the 8-pin power for the CPU.

Here's a great video that talks about radiator measurements and how much room you have. I know its a bit long but worth watching. You could possibly skip through it and find the part where he's talking about the bottom rad area.

I also measured my PUSH only radiators at the bottom that are also 54mm thick with their 25mm fans and found that I would only have 20mm if I went push and pull. I wanted to do push and pull but didn't like the fans being directly blowing air at each other that close.

Thanks alot for that video, it helped out a lot. I am able to fit in my Radiator and do a push pull configuration.

Do all Resivoirs come with the brackets to mount it on the drive cage? What about the Pump too, where/how do I mount it?

Do you think that Fan Controller can handle 8 fans on one channel?

Thanks alot for that video, it helped out a lot. I am able to fit in my Radiator and do a push pull configuration.

Sure, np. Again, you will have less than an inch of space between.

Do all Resivoirs come with the brackets to mount it on the drive cage? What about the Pump too, where/how do I mount it?

Not sure but I believe most come with brackets to hang the cylinder reservoirs inside the case. I am more familiar with dual bay reservoirs. I am sure if you googled search for some reviews and videos you'd find some.

Do you think that Fan Controller can handle 8 fans on one channel?

Well it depends. As long as you're not going over the channels limit you should be fine. I'd leave some leeway and not get close to the max so the startup of some fans doesn't burn the controller or motors out. Say 20-25 watts of fans on a 30 watt channel should be ok.

That controller you posted is 2.5 amps per channel max. So put 2 amps of fans per channel or less.

Last edited:
The reservoir mount was separate but it was only like 10 bucks.
http://koolance.com/bkt-tkf3-adjustable-reservoir-bracket

This is how I'm going to connect all of my fans:
20131121_1838311_zps76f444da.jpg
This is made by Swiftech and since I'm using all Noctua fans each one comes with a low-noise adapter, a 2-way splitter and even a 30cm extension sleeved cable I'm not even going to hook up the PWM controller. I will plug this splitter directly into a molex and I'll try without the low-noise adapter and see how the thing sounds just like that and if it's too loud then I'll add the adapters too, as long as temps are still good.

I may get some fatter rads if my temps aren't where I want them in the future. I'm happy with Koolance so we'll see how those skinny 480 rads perform.

Back