• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with GA-MA790X-UD4P/ G.SKILL memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dt196

Hello, long time lurker, but this one has me stumped.
I got this board from New Egg along with G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK and a Phenom II 720 BE. I usually test memory with MenTest even before installing the hard drive. I've upgraded to the newest bios F7 ( came with F5). The problem is that Mem Test fails with both sticks in dual channel at 1066. It passes at 800 speed dual channel. It passes single stick installed at 1066 ( both sticks independently). I have tried every possible combination recommended on GSkill,s site http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1129 to no avail.
I have win xp pro sp3 installed just to see if it'll run ( which it does) but when I load some programs they won't run. No BSOD yet.
I tried Microsoft's memory test and 1 stick always fails the Stride 6 test and the other one always passes. The one that fails will pass 1 run of MemTest.
So, any help would be appreciated. Is it the memory ( which is on the approved list on Gigabyte's site), the memory controller on the processor , or the motherboard? Is it time to RMA the memory, get another of the same or is there one that will work better? Just want to get it running properly on 1066 ram before overclocking. If you need any other info, let me know.

Thanks, Dan

Thanks, but if you would have read my post, you would have seen that not only have I linked to that very post, but said I have tried every thing in that discussion, none of which worked.

After having no luck with any settings with the memory, I set them back to their rated speed and timings. I then ran OCCT v3.1.0 to test the cpu. I ran the cpu:OCCT and cpu:Linpack tests. They both failed within 30 seconds and reported : Error Detected on Core #2. Does this mean that the processor has a bad core or perhaps a bad memory controller? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS Don't know how long prime ran till failure, it had crashed and rebooted with in the hour I left it running.
TIA

Thanks, but if you would have read my post, you would have seen that not only have I linked to that very post, but said I have tried every thing in that discussion, none of which worked.

see below

After having no luck with any settings with the memory, I set them back to their rated speed and timings. I then ran OCCT v3.1.0 to test the cpu. I ran the cpu:OCCT and cpu:Linpack tests. They both failed within 30 seconds and reported : Error Detected on Core #2. Does this mean that the processor has a bad core or perhaps a bad memory controller? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS Don't know how long prime ran till failure, it had crashed and rebooted with in the hour I left it running.
TIA

After a snappy/witty post like that above.. chances are no one is gonna help ya.
but, to redeem you before anyone else gets to you..can we start off with some specs.

not just what board a cpu you have. need some clock speeds voltages current mem timings. OS version PSU everything..

Last edited:
Hello, long time lurker, but this one has me stumped.
I got this board from New Egg along with G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK and a Phenom II 720 BE. I usually test memory with MenTest even before installing the hard drive. I've upgraded to the newest bios F7 ( came with F5). The problem is that Mem Test fails with both sticks in dual channel at 1066. It passes at 800 speed dual channel. It passes single stick installed at 1066 ( both sticks independently). I have tried every possible combination recommended on GSkill,s site http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1129 to no avail.
I have win xp pro sp3 installed just to see if it'll run ( which it does) but when I load some programs they won't run. No BSOD yet.
I tried Microsoft's memory test and 1 stick always fails the Stride 6 test and the other one always passes. The one that fails will pass 1 run of MemTest.
So, any help would be appreciated. Is it the memory ( which is on the approved list on Gigabyte's site), the memory controller on the processor , or the motherboard? Is it time to RMA the memory, get another of the same or is there one that will work better? Just want to get it running properly on 1066 ram before overclocking. If you need any other info, let me know.

Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan,

I have never had problems with Gigabyte/Gskill combinations (my last 3 builds have been G/G combos since nforce4 days!!)

However, my current Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P motherboard I could NOT get stable at ANY settings when running brand new Gskill DDR3-1600. It would not run 8gb, and it would not run 4gb at ANY voltage combination I tried (nb 1.4v, sb 1.3v, ram 1.7v, 1.8v, etc etc):bang head:bang head

I popped the Gskill in a new Asus M4A785TD motherboard (the blue/brown one with ati integrated hd4200) and it fired up on all cylinders and aced prime95 with no change in voltage/etc. The Gigabyte board is up for sale now on craigslist, and I ordered an Asus M4A79XTD which I am going to use instead of the gigabyte! I am real ****ed off! I used "approved" memory right off Gigabyte's website memory list, with "optimized" settings running the newest F3 bios! I called the tech support dept. even though I don't want the board anymore and was on hold while listening to advertisements for 20 mins.

Sorry Gigabyte, you guys screwed it up for me this time and wasted 12+ precious man hours-- AND I had to reformat/reinstall windows due to memory corruption @ddr31600. Worked plenty fine @ddr3 1333, so stop advertising ddr3 1600! On your own compatibility list for god sake!!
lesson learned for this generation...

MY ADVICE = GO ASUS!! :bday::bday:

PS. anyone want to buy my almost new gigabyte MA770T-UD3P? PM me (if your not needing ddr3 1600 speed that is)

ekoh,

Thanks for the reply. Ok, now for some specs.
Case - Generic mid tower modded for better air flow.
PSU - Thermaltake TR2- 430 watt
CPU - Phenom II 720BE
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P F7 Bios
RAM - G. Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
GPU - Gigabyte ATI HD4350
HD0 - WD Caviar Black SE16 250 G - XP & Win 7 dual booted plus data
HD1 - WD Caviar Black 1TB - Storage
DVDROM - Liteon - DH-20A4P-04
As I first stated, I tried all different slots, memory combination's (along with different voltages of memory, cpu, north bridge, etc. and timings) till I was fed up with trying to make this work like it was advertised to. Yes I've read that most all 1066 memory is just binned 800 and you may have to change some settings to get it to work at 1066, but this is insane! I tried some off the wall settings that people have reported to work, all of which failed.
So, all that said, I now have it running at default settings except that the memory is running 800 speed, 1.9 volts with 4,4,4,12 timings completely stable (tested with 2 hour OCCT limpak test, three runs memtest86+ V 2.11 and 18 hours of prime 95 Blend). I also have the CPU overclocked to 3.11 ghz only by multiplier & stock 1.25 volts. The 4th core will unlock, but I'm not using that option at this time.
My ambitions are to get 3.5-3.7 overclock with 1066 memory, and then I'll try the 4th core again, all stable of course. I'm not looking for bragging rights, just a quick stable system. I'm coming from a AbitNF7S with a Barton XP 2500 oc'd to XP 3200, 1G 3200 memory and an AIW 900 64mb, so this already screams in comparison.
One of my questions is if the memory will run at 1066 with the 5,5,5,15, is that really any advantage to what I'm running now ( 4,4,4,12 at 800)?

Thanks again. About my first reply, It appeared to me that redduc900 only read the header, not my actual post. No offense intended.

ekoh,

Thanks for the reply. Ok, now for some specs.
Case - Generic mid tower modded for better air flow.
PSU - Thermaltake TR2- 430 watt
CPU - Phenom II 720BE
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P F7 Bios
RAM - G. Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
GPU - Gigabyte ATI HD4350
HD0 - WD Caviar Black SE16 250 G - XP & Win 7 dual booted plus data
HD1 - WD Caviar Black 1TB - Storage
DVDROM - Liteon - DH-20A4P-04
As I first stated, I tried all different slots, memory combination's (along with different voltages of memory, cpu, north bridge, etc. and timings) till I was fed up with trying to make this work like it was advertised to. Yes I've read that most all 1066 memory is just binned 800 and you may have to change some settings to get it to work at 1066, but this is insane! I tried some off the wall settings that people have reported to work, all of which failed.
So, all that said, I now have it running at default settings except that the memory is running 800 speed, 1.9 volts with 4,4,4,12 timings completely stable (tested with 2 hour OCCT limpak test, three runs memtest86+ V 2.11 and 18 hours of prime 95 Blend). I also have the CPU overclocked to 3.11 ghz only by multiplier & stock 1.25 volts. The 4th core will unlock, but I'm not using that option at this time.
My ambitions are to get 3.5-3.7 overclock with 1066 memory, and then I'll try the 4th core again, all stable of course. I'm not looking for bragging rights, just a quick stable system. I'm coming from a AbitNF7S with a Barton XP 2500 oc'd to XP 3200, 1G 3200 memory and an AIW 900 64mb, so this already screams in comparison.
One of my questions is if the memory will run at 1066 with the 5,5,5,15, is that really any advantage to what I'm running now ( 4,4,4,12 at 800)?

Thanks again. About my first reply, It appeared to me that redduc900 only read the header, not my actual post. No offense intended.

ADVICE:

1) Call G.Skill Tech support directly
2) Call Gigabyte Tech Support directly

They can help you tweakkkk tweeeeeeek!!

hey i was wondering if you found a fix for this. I have 8gb of RAM in the same bored no luck.

I been posting in that Gskill forum but that forum is a mess. Also i made my own thread in toms hardware but still working on it. As i been Google around and i stumbled to yours just curious if you have a solution or you left it at 800mhz

I had ram problems with a recent Gigabyte board using Mushkin DDR2 800. Could not run it in dual channel at all but it was fine in single channel. Frustrated me so I got another brand of motherboard and the ram worked fine in dual channel. After a few months I built a computer for a friend and used the old Gigabyte board I had replaced. By then, however, Gigabyte had put out a new bios and it seemed to fix the problem. Of course, Gigabyte would never own up to the problem. The techs tried to blame it on the IMC.

ya i had this problem for about two years and i update every time there a newest bios update but it doesn't work. The one thing i hate about gigabyte there tech support is horrible...

Think i am gonna put one chip in OC so its steady @ 1066 with extreme testing and then work my way up...

I am having pretty much the same problem.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 940 BE
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H (BIOS F3)
RAM: OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC Edition (x2)

It runs memtest86 just fine for hours with the ram set to 1066 MHz. However, it will only run the Prime95 torture test for a few minutes. Stock for the cpu is 3 GHz. Mine is oc'd slightly - 3.4 GHz on air. If I reduce the memory speed to 800 MHz, the Prime95 torture test runs fine for more than 12 hours. If the ram is at 1066 MHz, the Prime95 test does not run for more than 10 minutes until I reduce the cpu speed to 2.0 GHz.

I have tried many different settings for memory configuration. Nothing seems to work.

I am a cruncher. That is -- my computers are connected to BOINC pretty much 24/7. They run at 100% most of the time, working on various research projects. They must be stable. One of the projects is Primegrid, and if a computer cannot run the Prime95 Torture Test, chances are that it will not do well with the Primegrid work units.

So ... until I get this problem solved, the ram on this machine will be at 800 MHz. (I am seated at this machine now; BOINC is running in the background. The performance tells me that the cpu is at 100% on all 4 cores. It is working on a project called Rosetta@Home.) The ram is currenly at 1066 MHz, however, because good results are important to me, I'll be changing it back to 800 MHz as soon as I finish this post.

I have spent a great deal of time today searching the internet for other people who are having a similar problem. From what I have learned today, I may not be able to solve this problem and still continue to use the Gigabyte board.

It would be interesting to hear from other people who also have this problem.

ya i had this problem for about two years and i update every time there a newest bios update but it doesn't work. The one thing i hate about gigabyte there tech support is horrible... ...

I certainly agree with that! They can get a little rude sometimes as well. I have found ASRock and Foxconn tech support to be, on the whole, more helpful and responsive.

I am having pretty much the same problem.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 940 BE
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H (BIOS F3)
RAM: OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC Edition (x2)

It runs memtest86 just fine for hours with the ram set to 1066 MHz. However, it will only run the Prime95 torture test for a few minutes. Stock for the cpu is 3 GHz. Mine is oc'd slightly - 3.4 GHz on air. If I reduce the memory speed to 800 MHz, the Prime95 torture test runs fine for more than 12 hours. If the ram is at 1066 MHz, the Prime95 test does not run for more than 10 minutes until I reduce the cpu speed to 2.0 GHz.

Well what version of memtest are you running. I know there is a glitch with 4gb of RAM.. I haven't tried newest version yet but i know there was a bug.

Also i did not OC my cpu i want to get this memory down i running allot VM's and i notice they are starting to lag and i think its because 800 mhz idk..

Also I am running 8gb I was looking at the gskill forum (really poor have to say everyone posting just a mess) i think they found a solotion for 4gb here the link.

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1129

Last edited:
RMA for Gskill

Bottom line is to call gskill, fill in the request, and demant a replacement! I am is the same situation, thousands of people. either Gskill or Gigabyte did not do their homework. I tried everything, bios ver recommended by giga.. manual settings gskill posted, too much wasted of my time. Request a replacement, I did, and have another mystery stiks coming my way from my friends at gskill. Stick with memory and be good at, then expand and make more money!

Back