• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with HDD and SSD Drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antonio112

Registered
So my BIOS doesn't recognize my SSD or HDD and I don't know why. Sata cables are secured and so is the power. I thought it could be drivers but none of these components have drivers with them. One thing I suspect but not sure is that I'm using the HDD saver wire and it's connected to its own slot on my mobo.
MB- Asrock z97 extreme4
Ssd- ocz arc 100
Hdd- seagate 7200 rpm 2 tb
(It's under this section because I'm trying to install my OS and I can't cuz it cannot recognize anything but my cd/dvd reader.)

Do you know what mode your SATA ports are set to (i.e. IDE, AHCI, RAID, etc) in your BIOS?

Are you sure the SATA ports you're trying to use are enabled in your board's BIOS? I know some boards have ports that are turned off/not enabled by default.

If your BIOS doesn't see the drives, no driver you give during the OS installation will make it work.

What is "hard drive saver wire". It sounds fake.

Hi Antonio,

I'd like you to try a few things please.

• Totally disconnect the Seagate for the moment
  • Disconnect the hard drive saver cable from the SSD
  • Plug a PSU power cable into the SSD instead
  • Make sure the data cable for the SSD is plugged into SATA3_0
  • Double check all the cables for the SSD are properly connected
  • Power her up and see if the SSD is now detected
This thread should really be in the hardware section as you are seeking support with hardware

@thideras - Just had a quick glance at the ASRock manual and the 'hard drive saver cable' allows the hard drives to be plugged into and powered by the motherboard instead of the psu (I think). This theoretically allows greater control of the drives via ASRock software and apparently can be used to prolong the life of the drive(s), protect user privacy and save energy

Last edited:
Back