• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with ideas for watercooling in a Cosmos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johntash

I'm planning on redoing my watercooling setup, but I need some advise on what to do. This is the only rig I've ever watercooled so right now it has a Cooler Master Aquagate kit.

The CPU is the only thing currently in the loop and stays between 30-40c. I bought an eVGA Hyrdo copper block off ebay and want to cool my 280 with it. I also bought a new Thermaltake P500 pump and a danger den single 5 1/4 bay reservoir.

My current setup basically looks like this.

So my questions are:

1) Should I completely ditch the Aquagate kit and build a new loop for the cpu/nb?

2) Is the p500 pump going to be a good pick for running a loop with just the 280 in it?

3) Would a single radiator be good enough to cool the 280 loop?

4) If I ditch the kit, what would you recommend getting for the cpu block, rad, pump, and res? I want this new build to be a lot cleaner than it currently is

5) Where would be the best places to mount a second radiator(currently a dual on the ceiling of the case) and pump?

CPU: Q6700 oced to 3.2ghz (didn't want to go higher or start messing with voltages until I put some cooling on the northbridge)
Motherboard: Evga 780i
Ram: 8gb Corsair xms2 (oced to 960mhz)

Any tips/ideas appreciated

1. yes, also return, if you can, that crap tastic thermaltake pump.

2.i'm sure it will work for a little bit, but it is highly likely the pump will die on you. i wouldn't put in on the gpu loop as when/if (lol) the pump dies you can't tell your computer to shut off on thermal overload. you can get some controllers i think but not sure which ones do it.

3. single rad or single 120mm rad? what size? for a single gpu you can get away with a 120mm rad as gpu's don't mind the heat.

4. CPU blocks
HEATKILLER CPU Rev3.0 1366
Swiftech Apogee GTZ
D-TEK FuZion V2

Triple 120mm
ThermoChill PA 120.3
XSPC RX360
HW Labs Black Ice GTX360
Swiftech MCR320-QP
Feser X-Changer Triple 360 mm
(doesn't have to be triple, al of the brands there are great)

Pumps
Swiftech MCP355 with XSPC Acrylic Reservoir for Laing DDC

Swiftech MCP655 Vario - adjustable speed and 1 speed faster then the basic
Swiftech MCP655 Basic - is equal to the vario on setting 4.

Res/tline

i will list a link to the site and it lists all there res's. they are all decent but i would get XSPC RES top i linked to in the pumps. you have to go with the MCP355.

Link to res's

5. i have seen a dual in the front on the inside of the case, check out this thread on the same case.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=594446

and here are pics from he same person with the parts in a cosmos S
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=604993

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and the info about the tt pump. Did some searching and apparently thermaltake's performance is pretty lacking in the wc department.

Current plan for the CPU loop:
Swiftech Apogee GTZ -
Swiftech MCR320-QP 3x120mm
Swiftech MCP355 12v Pump w/ XSPC Acrylic Reservoir for Laing DDC

I want to WC the northbridge as well, but would it be better to use a waterblock that goes over the NB/SB both or just a single northbridge block?
Bitspower Black Freezer N780NS 780i -nb/sb combo

Am I right in thinking it'd be better to keep the nb in a loop with the cpu instead of the gpu? Bigger rad, and the cpu doesn't get nearly as hot as the gpu usually.

GPU Loop:
Hyrdo Copper 16 eVGA GTX 280 waterblock
Swiftech MCR120-QP (?)
Swiftech MCP655 or another MCP355 w/ XSPC
Swiftech MCRES Micro Revision 2 reservoir (?)

The two threads you linked to gave me some ideas about where to put the pumps/res. I think I'm going to try fitting both pumps/reservoirs in the bay area above the hdds and probably put the single 120 rad on the back.

ya that n/b s/b block is fine, it seems alot of people are going that way. and i would put it in the GPU loop, gpu's do get hotter, but don't mind it. if you put it in the gpu loop i would get a double 120mm rad.

both loops look good BTW.

Back