• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Linux and bios!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DactaDork

I am trying to run Ubuntu Linux11.10 with an AMD FX-6100 with 8Gb of ddr3-1333 (2x4) ram. My motherboard is the GIGABYTE 970A-D3 with the latest version of the bios. My video card is the ASUS hd6450 in the pciex16 slot(though I have the same issues when it's in the x4). Ubuntu installed properly, but it will freeze after a while of use. I have done some research and found that GIGABYTE boards occasionally get pissy over Linux. Is that what ia happening, or, if not, what is going wrong? All of the drivers are at their latest edition. If I installed Ubuntu 12.04, would the problem be solved? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Please list your full system specs.

Is this a new system? If not, has it ever worked?
Are you overclocked?
Have you tested for stability?
Have you reset your BIOS?
Is there anything in messages (I believe it is /var/log/messages.log for Ubuntu) at the time of it locking it up?

I'm running a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H and Arch Linux without any issues. I haven't heard of it locking up because of the operating system.

how did you install ubuntu
1 windows first then ubuntu on one drive
2 windows first then ubuntu on a second drive
3 ubuntu by itself?

I'd say give 12.04 a shot, what can it hurt? you can install it along side 11.10 and share your home folder/drive between the two (if you set it up right), without even having to clear a partition for it.

I had a similar experience with PCLOS back when I was first getting into Linux, on my old Acer laptop. It ran fine for about 3 months, Using Beryl and with the eye candy up to a respectable level, then Compiz-Fusion came out. It seemed that Compiz was causing it, but it turns out that the drivers were out of date for my Intel mobile chipset (horrible graphics, btw. I believe it was a 945GM). To make a long story short, I switched to Fedora, and Compiz worked fine until I ultimately gave up on Linux for that machine and reinstalled XP. The moral is; I believe it's your graphics driver, which may be updated in 12.04, so why not try it? It's a LOT easier to install an updated Linux OS than to update drivers, in my opinion.

Back