• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with motherboard choice for new build (gaming)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chum

leaning toward ASrock ATX. Price range under $200. What is their most stable? Future build budget $1500. Figured I would start with mobo.

Be a little easier if you gave a little more info. AMD, Intel, planning to overclock or not, sli or crossfire plans.

OK...that's my board! Now lets discuss memory...suggestions for dual channel?

DDR3 2133 Cas 9. Not too expensive, great for the money. A microscopic perf boost over 1333. You might see as much as 1FPS in certain games!
Seriously though for the minor difference in price I say go for it.

Go for RAM with the metallic baby blue color of the heatsinks on the Extreme 6 so it matches up. Either that or black. G skill Ripjaws blue is very close as is Corsair's blue.

Any reason any of these are better than the ASRock extreme 6? Just looking for input, I appreciate the reply! Will not be purchasing the parts for a couple of weeks so want to get all the research done.

The first two speak for themselves, arguably the best two boards for the z97 platform, but excel at sub ambient temps.

This does not mean they are not great boards for ambient users though.

The Asus board I have come to appreciate using it's little brother in a z97 mITX build.

The Ex6 is a nice board as well I have used it's cousin the Killer. A spot on match almost other than a few features.

Having the opportunity to work with both the Asus z97 and the Asrock z97 mainstream boards I like the Asus solution a touch better.

I see you are asking about the memory for this platform as well,

Take a look at the Team Xtreme 2666 , great value , just beware they are tall and depending on your cooling solution could be a problem.

If they can work with your build though they represent a great value

could I install the ram on slots 3 and 4

On some platforms the channels used to be split 1,2/3,4 but AFIAK all Z97 boards it is 1,3/2,4

RAM-Clearance.jpg

It looks like it only covers the first slot.

BTW just a word of warning, 99% of people say installing the Hyper 212 was worse than getting a cavity filled. It's not a pleasant experience. Just a bad mount design. You can't really beat it for the money though.

but if only 1 fan mounted on left might be ok. Thanks for the pic! Do you like the coolers performance?

You want the air flow in your case to go in 1 continuous direction. Mounting the fan on what should be the exhaust portion of the cooler is unwise, though still doable.

I like the performance for the price.

Back