• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with new build (some components)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mcklog

Hi there

I'm thinking of upgrading my very old computer, mostly because I need more power for my tasks.

My current specs are:
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.20Ghz
RAM: 2Gb DDR 3200
HDD: 160gb and 500gb, both SATA
GPU: Gygabyte GT 440 1gb DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 520w 80 Plus
Optical drives: cd-rom and dvdr

My intentions are, buying a new mobo, new cpu and new ram, because the psu and the gpu are very new (and they meet my needs), and I think sata hdd are backwards compatible.

I use my computer for everyday tasks, but I use it for heavy graphics work too, although no gaming at all, and most of all 3d Rendering

I've read that Amd's processor are better for graphics, but there are so much different processors that my head spins

I see AM3, AM3+, FM1, FX, APU, Phenom II, etc. and I don't know what to choose, I don't know what that means.

I have a budget of $250 to $300 for the 3 things (in dolars)

I really need some help here, what combo would you remcommend?

Thank you very much for you help

AMD APUs are superior for onboard graphics. Since you have a GPU, that's not of much use to you. Your budget is also above the APU level.

Best options for you would either be a AMD FX-8150 and an AM3+ motherboard (preferably a 9xx chipset as well) or an Intel 2500K and a Z68 or Z77 board Which one is better depends on whether the calculations involved are integer based (go AMD) or floating point (go Intel).

Either one will be a giant leap forward from a P4 though.

So should I see Intel processors as well?

and btw, the processor you recommended, is way above my budget

Not if you live by a Microcenter, 2500K+motherboard can be had for $250 there. You should be able to get a cheaper quad core and a H series board within your budget if you don't live by Microcenter.

Still don't know what to buy, an AM3, or AM3+ or FM1, or what

Anyone else has some clues

Could always opt for an Intel 3470 + H77/B75 board along with the cheapest 8GB RAM kit you can find. If you're not overclocking; this is plenty fast. And you'd just use your GT 440 as your GPU.

Where are you located? Where are you buying from?

I'm from Mexico, but from a very large city, so theres some good places to buy from, but not every model is found

I've never overclocked, but I might take a chance

Back