• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking my new NF7-S v2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JyNx5023

I am pretty new to overclocking, so I would like to get as many opinions as possible on the settings of my comp. I'll try to be as thorough as I can. Here's what I got:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
Zalman NB47J NB heatsink with AS5
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Mobile IQYHA:0401MPMW
Lapped Thermalright SLK900a with AS5 and Thermaltake 92mm smart fan
1 GB of Crucial pc3200 DDR ram 8T (512x2) (stock speed: 3-3-3-8, 2.6v) running in dual channel

I haven't done the |12 mod or any other mods, these are my current settings.

210 fsb x 12 multi = 2520 mhz
vcore 1.75v
Ram timings 2.5-2-2-5
vdimm 2.7v
chipset 1.6v
cpu/ram ratio is 1:1
cpu temp 38c idle, 46c load
case temp 23c idle, 26c load

I ran memtest overnight with no errors and prime 95 for 4.5 hours with no errors so it looks like my system is rock solid at this point. I would like any opinions on what should be changed, if anything, to make a better overclock.
Are these speeds the best I should expect to get or can I do something to make it better? By the way, I want to achieve the best speeds without doing any modding. I might look into that another time.

Last edited:
JyNx5023 said:
I am pretty new to overclocking, so I would like to get as many opinions as possible on the settings of my comp. I'll try to be as thorough as I can. Here's what I got:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
Zalman NB47J NB heatsink with AS5
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Mobile IQYHA:0401MPMW
Lapped Thermalright SLK900a with AS5 and Thermaltake 92mm smart fan
1 GB of Crucial pc3200 DDR ram 8T (512x2) (stock speed: 3-3-3-8, 2.6v) running in dual channel

I haven't done the |12 mod or any other mods, these are my current settings.

210 fsb x 12 multi = 2520 mhz
vcore 1.75v
Ram timings 2.5-2-2-5
vdimm 2.7v
chipset 1.6v
cpu/ram ratio is 1:1
cpu temp 38c idle, 46c load
case temp 23c idle, 26c load

I ran memtest overnight with no errors and prime 95 for 4.5 hours with no errors so it looks like my system is rock solid at this point. I would like any opinions on what should be changed, if anything, to make a better overclock.
Are these speeds the best I should expect to get or can I do something to make it better? By the way, I want to achieve the best speeds without doing any modding. I might look into that another time.

try increasments in Vdimm, and Vdd, you wanna get your FSB up alittle if you can. you may have to loosen thoughs timings alittle though:p.

also i would greatly suggest the L12 Mod. and an aftermarket Bios:)

I would push it further and see how it goes. As suggested, increasing various voltages may help, but watch the temps. The RAM is already 10MHz past spec, so I would bet it would be the bottleneck if you wanted to go further.

Ok I did the |12 mod, but that didn't help. I think my ram is definitely the bottleneck. I can't get higher than 210 fsb to stablize. I even turned the timings way down to 3-4-4-9, but no luck. I should have gotten mushkin ram...crucial is good, but its just basic ram with little oc'ing capabilities in my opinion.

now, I'm running at 210fsbx11 @ 1.6vcore with 2.5-3-3-8 timings at 2.7vdimm. my temps got alittle to high with the previous settings i had at the beginning of this thread. also, those speeds ended up being unstable after running prime95 overnight again. new temps are 42c cpu load and 25c case load.

Any comments or suggestions? I sure could use them.

Last edited:
Don't feel to bad with 210fsb. Although I have not done a "ton" of testing, I have a feeling about it. My PC3200 Kingston Bh-5 is hitting 220 & I don't believe it is stable. 225 is certainly not stable.

The culprit could be the version of bios I am using though. I would recommend that to you like others have. Grab an after market bios. Probably want to find a bios that has CPC disabled. Double sided memory & 512x2 generally works the best with CPC disabled.

i have the same stepping as you, and i was able to get 11x240 with merlin d25 cpc off bios. definitely give that bios a try, but your ram might be the limiting factor.

also, my cpu needed 1.8v to get pass the 230fsb and required 1.9v for 240fsb. however, it does run a lil hot. mine reached 52C during load that's why i lowered to 11x230.

Back