• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking Phenom II 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For now oc is stable while gaming (3.8ghz vcore 1.45). I tried 3.9ghz on vcore 1.46 but that was not stable while playing. I will try adding a little more vcore and try it again later.

Is it possible that raising fsb for a little with multiplier combinaton for 3.9 target will make oc more stable then just raising multiplier?

I find that at times you may be able to use slightly less V_core for a combination FSB Multi OC. If I remember right my 965 was around 1.475v for 3.9 stable. The added V_Core and heat for 4.0 just wasn't worth it.

I find that at times you may be able to use slightly less V_core for a combination FSB Multi OC. If I remember right my 965 was around 1.475v for 3.9 stable. The added V_Core and heat for 4.0 just wasn't worth it.

Did you use fsb-miltiplier combination for 3.9 or just multiplier with vcore on 1.475?

Both had the FSB at 250, I think I'm still stuck in the mindset of the old days before the BE's

I played some games for last 3 hours and I did not encountered any instability.

Here is oc setup

t2zr.jpg

This setup has proven to be most stable while gaming and 3.8 with v1.45 also.

I was thinking to take your advice caddi daddi to buy two fans, one for replacing hyper 212 evo stock fan and second to place it on the other side of the cooler for the push-pull combination.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2945

So is it worth doing that or not, what do you think guys?

I was thinking to take your advice caddi daddi to buy two fans, one for replacing hyper 212 evo stock fan and second to place it on the other side of the cooler for the push-pull combination.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2945

So is it worth doing that or not, what do you think guys?

**** yes buy upgraded fans....

I thought I mentioned it and C-D had muh back on that one.

Also, I'd work that Ram a little harder if it where mine. All the bandwidth you can get.

Nice NB frequency too. I suspect that chip can handle 3ghz like most of the chips I OCed in the past. From PHII 940BE (de-lidded) 955, 965, 565 1090T 960T and more all where able to run 3ghz +. I think the 965BE before I gave it up was running 3ghz daily NB at 1.45v CPU/NB voltage and NB core at 1.2v not a stitch more.

You have plenty of tweaking to do. Like AMD says.... Never settle.

I am on the look-out for that odd piece of information

Good luck.

got your back shrimpbrime.

:D

I like your screen name. It reminds me of my Old 77' Coupe De'ville. What a sweet ride that was. I was a teenager and sold it to a guy that abandoned it somewhere. Boy I had regrets about that one.

425 cui big block and turbo 400 tranny. All the luxuries of todays cars and even some options you don't see anymore. Fiber optics from the tail lights to just above the rear view mirror so you could make sure all the brake lights worked without getting out and walking around the vehicle. Telescopic steering wheel, climate control heat/ac..... on and on. What a dream car it was.

I just want my 59 eldo back, what a ride that battleship was.
I had a 78 coupe deville, streach out that 425 on i95 and pass anything but a gas station.

**** yes buy upgraded fans....

I thought I mentioned it and C-D had muh back on that one.

Also, I'd work that Ram a little harder if it where mine. All the bandwidth you can get.

Nice NB frequency too. I suspect that chip can handle 3ghz like most of the chips I OCed in the past. From PHII 940BE (de-lidded) 955, 965, 565 1090T 960T and more all where able to run 3ghz +. I think the 965BE before I gave it up was running 3ghz daily NB at 1.45v CPU/NB voltage and NB core at 1.2v not a stitch more.

You have plenty of tweaking to do. Like AMD says.... Never settle.

Good luck.

I will purchase those fans tomorrow. Regarding ram, the max freq is 1333 so I thought that going over 1333 will cause instability or even ram failure also I am completely lost when it comes to ram timings but if it can go more than 1333 without breaking it and if you can tell me which timings to set I will gladly try it out.

I linked him to a thread i have where i fsb walked my 965 from low clock to high clock.
all he has to do is copy that starting with 1066 ram and fsb it up till it bsod's then back the ram down again.

first back your cpu clock down, raise the fsb up to the next 100mgz on the cpu clock, then bench it.

example, set cpu clock to 3.6, raise the fsb from 200, to about 204-205, for a cpu clock of 3.7. look at the cpu/nb, ht speed and ram speed and run a benchmark.

Last edited by a moderator:
example, set cpu clock to 3.6, raise the fsb from 200, to about 204-205, for a cpu clock of 3.7. look at the cpu/nb, ht speed and ram speed and run a benchmark.

Its 2 in the morning here and I am tired so I am going to bed. I will try that tomorrow and post results. Good night everyone.

I will purchase those fans tomorrow. Regarding ram, the max freq is 1333 so I thought that going over 1333 will cause instability or even ram failure also I am completely lost when it comes to ram timings but if it can go more than 1333 without breaking it and if you can tell me which timings to set I will gladly try it out.

You can follow the guides all you want, but any decent Ram should do 1900 on Cas 9.

Since I haven't used Kingston since DDR1/2 it will be hard for me to know the timings that will be stable BUT...

For reference on my own sticks (which I have a few sets of different makes) I can run most all of them at 1.5v up to 1000mhz 9-10-9-27-36 2T command rate.

My Viper Xtreme's are 9-11-9 and do fine at 9-10-9 tested 7 days straight F@H plus general usage and gaming.

There are some people that swear stressing for 20 minutes or even 6 hours is stable. Unfortunately I don't buy into this kind of time wastage when I could be using the stress time for something a least a little more useful

Never the less I do test when questioned....

This was testing one stick at a time 5 hours stable dual stress test running. Mushkin 1866 4gb 1 stick single channel liquid cooled. Cpu/NB/HT all linked and running 3ghz for testing stability for NB and HT clocking and a single stick at a time testing.

Don't let any one tell you 3ghz NB/HT link stable is not possible. On just about every single Phenom II processor I ever clocked was able to run this frequency on a variety of motherboards AM2+ to AM3+ meaning 7xx series chipsets to 9xx series chipsets and that does include multiple bios revisions on each board all giving me 3ghz NB/HT speeds. Never had an issue there.....

Attachments

• 960T 1000mhz ram 1.5v end test 5 hours.jpg
    960T 1000mhz ram 1.5v end test 5 hours.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
shrimpbrime, he's beyomd guides, there is just some gems in those.

as I am a memory noob you might give both he and I a little schooling up?

shrimpbrime, he's beyomd guides, there is just some gems in those.

as I am a memory noob you might give both he and I a little schooling up?

OK, I'll do a straight forward generalization of IMC or integrated memory controllers.

Phenom II had 2 classes of IMC on their cpus. The T series chips such as 1090T and 970T ect. in my experience, no white papers, had much better memory controllers, almost as good as FX in a lot of cases running air or liquid cooling. I did NOT find one single quad Phenom II that wasn't a T series chip that could clock high on low Ram volts.

Some people swear by NB/CPU voltage increase for better memory stability at an overclock. I found this to be mostly untrue. Fact was for me that the Ram voltage always had more effect on overclocks.

IE: 1100mhz at cas 9 would take a minimum of 1.68v with my Mushkin 1866 ram in dual or single channel mode populating only 2 ram slots. Always in the past AMD did and still does better running only one stick of ram in single channel.

Now my Llano IMC is decent. But not better than Phenom II being the A8 are based of Phenom II core technology. This changed with the A10's. These are based off FX and have a much better memory controller. Any how, the Llano took a max clock of 1200mhz effective and around 2.0v. I can effectively get this same speed on the 1155 3770K with far less voltage and also with the FX platforms as well. usually no more than 1.8v give or take on temps naturally.

Which brings us down to cooling once again. A hot set of Ram sticks just simply won't clock well. Some sticks run better naked chips exposed and a fan right on em'

So in a nut shell, three main things. IMC capability, Voltage requirements from IMC capability and just as important... cooling. Never OC your ram without active cooling.

Up to 1100mhz 1.68v Cas 9-10-9-27-36 - Same speed lower cas 10-11-10-x-x at only 1.5v. PiMod, Cas 9 wins.

i7 3770K and FX-83xx can run in my experience 1200mhz effective Cas 12-12-12-30-50 around 1.75v. Again this voltage will vary depending on temps. Winter temps usually net lower voltages system wide.

AMD = loves tight timings, great for benching and all around daily system use.

I did also find that overclocking AMD IMC and RAM from the stock 1333 divider has net me some of the best memory benchmarking scores. I have no clue as to why this is either. I've tried wrapping my brain around it, but not too much. I just figure, go with it and have fun.

As you saw in the picture above, the bus is at 250. This helps change the memory divider for easy access to 2000mhz for example. have never had an issue running this bus frequency even with a brand new cpu from the box.

Memory overclocking can be a hassle. but after time, it gets pretty easy when the memory controllers just play so nicely and the Ram manufacturers are getting better at making low volt high clocked chips.

I think that this oc is pretty much stable, 15 hours of testing in prime and still running and around 4 hours testing while playing games.

6z2h.jpg

Now regarding ram memory, it's standard mid-range memory and it's "naked" there is no any kind of cooling stuff on her.

Here is the spechttp://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3N9_4G.pdf

So I do not think that this kind of ram can be much overclocked, if anyone knows safe oc limit for this kind of ram without adding additional cooling to it, please tell me.

Your DDR3-1333 Kingston Value Ram is already overclocked to ~DDR3-1410 at 1T CR. If you are using the stock ram voltage of 1.5V then there should be NO problem with running the ram at that speed. At least not a physical heat problem at that mild ram overclock on stock voltage to the ram.
RGone...

¿Witcher69; how much voltage do you need to stabilize your CPU-NB at that frequency?

Also, this thread has very helpful information for any 965 overclocker. So cheers on that!

Back