• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Phe2 980

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eindoodle

Hello All,

First off, I'm a first time OC'er but I have done my research and read up on it. I recently got a 980 and have been able to OC it to 4.3Ghz stable in prime 95 for an hour so far (still running). I was wondering if anyone could take a look and see if everything appears correct.
a108qe.png.jpg
iyq25x.png.jpg
My concern is that the voltage seems to be lower than what I've been seeing other people's Vcore at online (~1.5V for others?). And I guess that is also why my temp is so low? (I am using a Noctua NH-D14)

If the CPU looks good, my next question would be on memory. I read in one of the threads that these cpu's don't handle 1600MHz well. I was still waiting to see how stable my CPU is and haven't attempted to mess with the memory settings, but any suggestions on them would be great
2lsjg9g.png.jpg
ogtoh.png.jpg

Thank you all in advance!

I guess I should state my entire build:
HAF 932
kingwin 1000W plat cert
samsung 830 256GB
Gskill ripjaw Z series 2133
EVGA 560 TI 2GB
gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
and of course AMD phenom ii x4 980 BE and Noctua NH-D14 which i stated above

We can't see the most important temp because you clipped off the pic of HWMonitor at the bottom. Please try that again so we can see the "core" temps. Make sure you don't have any core unlocker features enabled in bios or the core temp reading will be blocked.

Yes, that vcore voltage is unusually low for a 4.2 ghz overclock but don't assume it will be stable at that. You will need to pass at least 2 hrs. of the Prime95 blend test to be sure.

Boy, you are getting a lot of voltage fluctuation on your 12v+ PSU rail. All the way from 16.26 down to 12.35. If that's accurate its not good.

Last edited:
The other potential problem I see is that you are running your ram at 1600 mhz. Many or most Deneb core Phenom IIs won't be stable with the ram at that frequency. The integrated memory controller (part of the CPU) is a little weak. But it might, especially with those relaxed timings.

I must have some core unlocker feature enabled since I'm seeing all 0's for them. I'll go back into my bios and try to find it and disable it.

I'm not quite sure what the 12V fluctuation could be from or what would even cause it?

edit: and the prime 95 test has almost reached 2 hrs (just about 15 minutes away so I'll wait for that mark before looking in bios to disable the core unlocker feature)

So prime 95 passed the 2 hour mark with no problems. Did as you said and disabled the core unlock and reran prime 95 just to get some early temps on the core
20k6m1u.png.jpg
Doesn't seem too different? I'll mess with the memory timing now. I know you said the deneb chips dont' usually run stable at the 1600 ram freq, but how do I tell? Also, how are you seeing 1600? I see the DRAM freq stated as 805? My MB didn't have a multiplier setting to increase it more, but I was actually going to attempt a higher freq but probably won't.

Back