• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with random restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

This problem has been occurring for several months. Very intermittent. I wake up in the morning after the computer has been idling all night to find it has BSOD'd and restarted. I have thoroughly stress-tested it with Prime95 and it's rock stable under load.

I'm attaching pics of the crash dump info from this morning. Can anyone interpret this for me and spot the problem?

Attachments

• crash1.JPG
    crash1.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 54
  • crash2.JPG
    crash2.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 56
It could be related to the memory or your overclock. You may want to try and run memtest86 on each stick individually.

Or lower your overclock and see if it still does this after.

It could be related to the memory or your overclock. You may want to try and run memtest86 on each stick individually.

Or lower your overclock and see if it still does this after.

Wouldn't you think this would show up first of all under load if it were related to the overclock or memory?

Wouldn't you think this would show up first of all under load if it were related to the overclock or memory?

I had a case of bad memory that would randomly freeze for months, yet it would never freeze during prime or during overclocking.

I'm currently RMA'ing it to g-skill and the system is running fine with a pair of borrowed 2gb sticks from a friend.

hard to tell from a single minidump, can be hardware such as memory as kmo suggested or software conflict or corrupted software.

file says process was msmpeng which is windows defender. next time it blue screens, check to see if same culprit. If so, probably software issue, ie conflict between it and other security software or corrupted file/driver. If you get more than one culprit causing bsods, than more likely a hardware issue or badly corrupted windows/bad drive.

If you use freeware like Comodo Dragon and/or Avira Antivir then

* Start Menu > Run… > services.msc > Scroll down to Windows Defender and double click on it > Stop > then (in the middle of the window) where it says "Startup type:" SELECT: Disabled > OK

Of course it may not be software but bad RAM, PSU, SSD...

Thanks for the ideas. I checked the minidump file a month or so ago when this happened and it suggested the culprit was a driver. But I also feel in these cases where instability is intermittent and happens according to no particular pattern that it is often ram related.

If you use freeware like Comodo Dragon and/or Avira Antivir then

* Start Menu > Run… > services.msc > Scroll down to Windows Defender and double click on it > Stop > then (in the middle of the window) where it says "Startup type:" SELECT: Disabled > OK

Of course it may not be software but bad RAM, PSU, SSD...

Are you saying to disable the antivirus software?

Negative, if you have third party anti virus/firewall software then why have Windows Defender running and potentially causing problems? Disable it.

No, I am not using any third party firewall or antivirus software. Only Microsoft Security Essentials.

I was looking at my memory timings in CPU-z and realized I had the Command Rate set to 1T when the 1600 mhz column in SPD was calling for 2T. I've changed that now. Time will tell if that fixes the problem. The 1600 mhz ratedmemory is actually running at 1618 mhz so maybe the CR was too aggressive.

Back