• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Re-boots Diagnostic Help Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjb4

Registered
I am having a problem with random re-boots, which I can't track down. I believe it is a hardware issue and not software.
Here is my Rig:
CPU Intel Core i7-6850K
MB Asus ROG Strix X99 Gaming
GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming
Cooler Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid
Boot Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2
Memory G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver 1803
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified
Case Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case

A few weeks ago random re-boots started to occur. I performed all the potential fixes memory tests, check disk etc., I've run SFC scannow detecting no missing or corrupted files. Running Webroot SecureAnywhere and routinely run Malwarebytes. I've turned off autorestart in advance windows settings but the problem persists. I updated all my drivers after trying everything else I update to the latest beta firmware for the board. I've been unable to diagnose the problem since no dump file is formed. The event viewer simply says there has been an unexpected shutdown after the fact. The problem is now getting worse it re-boots every 15 minutes while idle. I can track this in the event viewer overnight.
I've tried pinpointing the potential hardware problem by removing 2 of the ram sticks, restarting then replacing and removing the other two and it re-boots in both cases. I reseated the CPU and changed out PSU cable slots where I could and this fix the reboot for a day a day at idle. As soon as I stressed the cpu re-boots started again. Also my 2 additional storage drives disappeared in Windows but visible in the bios. I again re-ran PSU cables to those drives and got them to show-up but re-boots every 14 to 15 minutes continues.
I figure this is either a mobo issue or a PSU issue. Any insights.
Thanks,
cjb4

You do not mention if you are running your CPU in an overclocked state or not. If you are, the first thing I would do would be to return all bios values to default. If you have tried this already and it didn't help then I would look at the PSU or the motherboard. I note that you are running a 6th generation CPU in a 5th generation motherboard which technically will work with a bios update but I wonder about the age of the motherboard by now.

Do you have any compatible spare parts laying around that you could use to swap out components? Have you tried removing the GPU and going with the IGP to reduce the load on the PSU and to eliminate the GPU as being the cause? Have you tried removing all but one RAM stick so as to be able to test each one individually and testing all RAM slots by taking one known good RAM module and moving it around to each individual slot? Have you tried running the machine in Safe mode to eliminate driver issues?

Thanks trents. I've tried all but the PSU change out which I will try tomorrow. Safe mode, all bios to default, bios updated to latest in fact I also tried 1902 which has been sitting as beta since March. Tested all memory slots, GPU traded out for a 1060. That's why I think I am down to the PSU or mobo, but hoping someone had some other ideas. If the borrowed PSU (EVGA 1,000 Watts) I guess it has to be the mobo. Will report back tomorrow.
cjb4

Oh, sorry. I read your first post too hastily. I see you now you are running a Broadwell CPU so the motherboard generation matches.

Purchased a EVGA Platinum 1000 and replaced the 850 and that fixed it. RMAed the 850 and now have an extra PSU, can maybe use that as an excuse to build another rig?

Back