• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with windows activation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

okay so i handed my computer over to a relative so they could try to fix the master boot record which had been deleted by accident. they gave me windows 7, set up some programs, etc. problem is, he didn't have a product key. so he....for lack of a better term broke the activator. when i click activate windows now in computer properties it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file." i know i have privileges to activate because i'm the only account on the pc. any ideas as to what i should do? he told me he messed with some files and such to make it so the activator would break and i wouldn't need product key. yeah well, the clock is still counting down the 30 trial period. if anyone has a suggestion, it'd really help. will i have to reinstall windows? (another computer in the house has a 7 badge on the case so i can activate)

You will need a product key or you will need to reinstall with a version of Windows you have a license for.

You could run try System File Checker "sfc /scannow" at the run prompt - this will want the Windows 7 DVD.

After that dig up the serial, pop it in and activate.

okay so sfc didn't work and when i try reinstalling it says setup can't copy all of the necessary files. what now?

You will need a product key or you will need to reinstall with a version of Windows you have a license for.

This is your only option. Your relative attempted to bypass Windows activation, and probably corrupted your your install in the process. Backup whatever files you need, format, and re-install with a version of Windows for which you have a valid license. Otherwise, install a distro of linux.

He probably tried to use a cracked copy of windows. Time to get a legit copy.

Back