• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taylor

BTW Hi everyone- there was a time when I spent far too much time here...anyone remember me?

Anyway, here's problem:

As soon as I install the drivers for my MSI fx5200, the system hangs when I try to restart.

It's fine if I choose "shut down", but if I choose "restart" or if I'm running an app that wants to restart, windows shuts down and leaves me with a black screen and a flashing cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. Then I have to push the reset button or the start button.

Not a big problem, but it is something I'd like to resolve. I like a particular benchmark that runs again and again for days, but it needs to restart the system after each 5 runs. This problem gets in the way of that.

(Not to mention I can't stand thinking about even the flaws I'll never even notice, let alone something glaring at me like this.)

here are the system specs (short version):

winme
soyo dragon ultra
athlon t-bird
kingmax ddr
maxtor 30gig
teac dvd
sony cd-r

(everything running at default settings)

I started putting this box together a few days ago, and I've been through several re-formats. The problem appears only after I install the video drivers.

I appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer.

TIA, Taylor

(BTW my sig is way out of date, I really ought to go fix that....this is an entirely different box...)

Are you using the installation disk drivers?

If you are, Download and install the latest ones here. www.nvidia.com

Make sure you uninstall the old drivers first and unplug your modem(if you have a cable modem) when you reboot because if your connected to the internet,windows update will kick in and might install the 52.16 set automatically.

After you install the new drivers you can plug your modem back in.
Then Reboot and you should be fine.

thanks very much. I'll do that this evening and post the results!

This is why I love this place...

That didn't work.

After I uninstalled the driver that came with the card, I did a restart and it worked fine. This is further corroboration of my theory that the problem is caused by the driver.

But once I installed the new driver, same problem.

Any other ideas?

1st thing i'd do, upgrade to ANYTHING besides Windows ME, even windows 98 OR 95 ANYTHING is better than ME. a lot of this stuff is known to happen on ME machines

That's a good idea. I used the via 4-in-1 that came on the mobo disk, but maybe it'll help to go get the latest ones.

As far as win me goes, yes I've heard ppl say bad things about it as well as every other version of windows. I'm not springing for win xp, and I'm not ready to go linux yet. I have win 98 se, but I have a hard time believing 98 or 95 is better than ME, after updates.

This is a problem with the vid card driver, blaming everything on windows is kinda like flogging a dead horse.

Back