• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Helping a Friend Get New RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spirrwell

Registered
Well, it's basically as the title says, I have a friend with a decently old computer with a motherboard that is a GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-D3. I tried to help get new RAM, but I unfortunately think I made a terrible compatibility mistake and now I have friend that's basically out $25.

So I wanted to know if anybody knew the symptoms of incompatible RAM. The system wouldn't even boot up past POST and there was no beep codes. The RAM I got was a 4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 MT18JSF51272PZ-1G4D1BB.

It's 1333 MHz RAM and the motherboard only supports 1066, but I suspected that it would be knocked back down to 1066 like it should logically should.

I checked the table that GIGABYTE had up for supported RAM and saw that beginning note that they can't confirm every model\brand, and the list wasn't that big.

I'm looking for somebody to help confirm I made a mistake in my suggestion and suggest what might be the cheapest alternative. Well, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

That ram should work, albeit maybe not at 1333 speeds. Can you get into the BIOS? If so you may have to manually set the speed and timings. If you cannot get into the BIOS try clearing the CMOS.

Unfortunately, I'm not right there and was just trying to help a friend out. However my friend does have access to their BIOS but from what I understand is a bit limited. Their CPU was OC'd to 3.3. GHz, which was done partly by increasing the FSB which is locked to be linked. So they lowered that, but still didn't help the new RAM. It's annoying because to even get into the BIOS they have to swap out the RAM.

We can perhaps try something new tonight, but thank you.

I feel like I'm missing something. But just to be clear, there's no reason it shouldn't work unless it was DOA\wrong settings? It should be compatible?

Like I said the board may be setting the ram speed and or timings wrong, they should be compatible at 1066 but they may not be running at 1066. Going into the BIOS and seeing this will give you your answer.

Back