• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey guys, First post... Quick Question (Custom Loop)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WyzeGye

So, I've Got an MSI ravager case, it's a little bit small, I've already got a 240mm closed loop on my CPU. That's going to stay where it is.

I'm actually only going to be cooling my video card. I've got the block, i'm just waiting on a copper shim for the spacing (it's a 7970).

This is a very rough mockup of how I plan to do it

CQPLngF.png

Does that look like a good way of approaching it? I thought maybe i'd go "res, rad, pump, GPU, res. But I've read that you're supposed to have the res go straight to the pump. Though that solution would be more circular and I assume would look cleaner. Also, barring online or specialty computer shops, where can I get a kill coil? Would a jeweler be willing to give me a silver shaving?

Anybody have any suggestions for me?

Edit: I just realized this is in the wrong forum. If it could be moved to the liquid forum that'd be cool. I'd still appreciate input until that happens.

Last edited:
Not sure where you live though as I do not see your location populated...

Im in Medicine Hat, AB, CA, there's really nothing near me as far as computer shops go. I'll most likely be ordering it online today or tomorrow if I have no luck with the jewelers.

So res -> rad -> pump is out. Gotcha. So the picture I attached would be an okay set up? This is my first loop, so I just want to make sure. I've done lots of reading on the subject and just now getting down to business.

Your picture is blocked from my office.. I will check it out when I get home later tonight. You can host the pictures internally though for posterity sake at least... OCFinsertimages.png

This is what i'm working with. I'll be cutting out a piece from the plastic at the top to make room for the fans between the ceiling of the case and the compartment that the plastic top provides.

I could buy another case, but I really like this case despite how cramped it is, and once I move that 2x120mm rad up to the top i feel i'll have plenty of room to work with. As well as using the stiffness of the tubing to support my card.

Despite appearances, the rad doesn't touch the video card and that sag is all natural.

Attachments

• 40393.4da8ce0bf2a2d2e5f4efddab8b1515bc.9d64aec10c96b94143e668947caf941e.med.jpg
    40393.4da8ce0bf2a2d2e5f4efddab8b1515bc.9d64aec10c96b94143e668947caf941e.med.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 47
What size radiator are you planning on cooling the gpu with? Also you can mount the radiator outside the case if you can't find room inside, something like this would help to do so.

I have a 120mm Rad. And I have considered mounting it outside my case, as it does have the built in grommets and it gets very cold here in the winter. It was -38c the other day. Sticking the rad on the windowsill would be very beneficial.

But I have a 2 year old daughter, and bad things might happen. Not to mention, i'm moving 1500kms away in a month or two, so that would mean some amount of disassembly beforehand. So for the time being, i think i'll be doing everything internally.

Well unless you keep the rad outside while running, with antifreeze in it, a 120 isn't going to be enough raddage for a gpu unless you have turbines for fans.

In that case, maybe I'll do the external radiator and revise it once I get my hands on a 2x or 3x rad. As far as antifreeze goes, could I just use a ratio of methanol? if so, how much methanol to water? Also, i have my computer on a table, level with my window sucking in the cold air. HWmon puts my air flow on my hard drives at 1c. Considering i'd be mounting the rad directly above the HDDs would that make any difference to your advice?

Why is it that i've seen people do 'the mod' with 120mm closed loop radiators and have no complaints?

In that case, maybe I'll do the external radiator and revise it once I get my hands on a 2x or 3x rad. As far as antifreeze goes, could I just use a ratio of methanol? if so, how much methanol to water? Also, i have my computer on a table, level with my window sucking in the cold air. HWmon puts my air flow on my hard drives at 1c. Considering i'd be mounting the rad directly above the HDDs would that make any difference to your advice?

Why is it that i've seen people do 'the mod' with 120mm closed loop radiators and have no complaints?
I'd like to see links of that...including what card it was in, their ambiemts, amd temperatures... A 120 in that loop will cool both items ok, but not well. A 120 by itself will be worse than stock air unless it has f5 like air movement going through it. ;).

I mean, is it realistic for you to sit in front of your pc with 34f air coming in? Seriously?

Haha. yeah, i've got my window open half a foot. I'm strange in the way that I like fresh air, no matter how cool it is. Also, with how the computer is positioned the warm exhaust is pointed right at me.

As far as the 'mod' link goes
http://www.overclock.net/t/1203636/official-amd-ati-gpu-mod-club-aka-the-red-mod

take your pick. They're all running 120mm rads from what I see and boasting sub 60 temperatures. I mean... i understand sub 60 is nothing all that great, but I'm thinking anything lower than 70 is a win for me.

And you may have misunderstood me, but I'm not cooling the CPU and GPU in this loop. It will only be the GPU, and my VRM modules will be cooled by the case's airflow. I don't see this to be an issue because Powercolor doesnt have a heatsink the contacts both the GPU and VRM, they have their own heatsinks with 0 airflow when the card is stock.

Last edited:
I can get sub 60 temps from air... Though not as quiet I am sure. :p

I see most on the higher wattage cards have the thicker 920s so that helps things too. I guess to me I want a significant improvement of performance along withhe quiet is all. If quiet is what you want, save $40 and get an arctic cooler on it. :)

I was actually gifted this loop for helping a friend move his components to a new case. The only cost for me so far was the 5 dollar copper shim (+11 dollars shipping, ridiculous) I'll be selecting my hose tomorrow.

and sure the quietness would be nice, i'm mostly just doing this to lower my temps a little bit, and get my feet wet before I move onto my next build. And just to say I did it.

Your picture is blocked from my office.. I will check it out when I get home later tonight. You can host the pictures internally though for posterity sake at least... OCFinsertimages.png

Sorry for the OT, but I'm so pleased that this image is still around :D

So pleased you came back to visit man! Missed your knowledge here! Hope you are well!

Yea, I got swamped by school, but I'm tryin to make a comeback, we'll see how it goes. Good to see you're still around!

Back