• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High idle temps in dual GPU setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its to be expected with Dual GPU setups. The second card constricts the available air to the first, and the hot air from the second is sucked into the first(blower design). It is why a lot of people go water cooling for multi-GPU setups.

Just monitor your max temps, anything under 85C should be considered safe. I idle at 50C, but that's because my fans on my GPU don't spin until it gets to 60C.

That said, I'm not entirely sure if that 1080 will be utilized unless you are bitcoin mining or something and use them as individual compute units.

Its not for gaming, correct?

Last edited:
What you can do as well is put a 92mm/120mm fan vertically between the 2 GPUs (double sided tape does the job) to blow fresh air in between. I used to do that when I was minin (using 4 GPU's). like this (one of my previous rigs...):

280x 1.jpg

Heat rises eco... notice that video card you put under the titan??? Its warm like your other is and that top gpu is sucking in the warmer air.

Back