• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Troubleshooting no power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Frustrating issue as I awoke to find my new PC build without any power.
I normally shut down in evening but leave powered 'on'. ie can see LED's on my mobo, an ASAUS X99AII.

Never experienced before and have been running fine for a year.

The one recent change is installation of a second GPU.

Can any experienced hardware experts suggest troubleshooting steps?

Here are some pictures on my google account
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=OWZpWllDX2t5Q04xb2NtSW1vTW9jOTFKSmRVWWZR

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/eco_bach/saved/d6Ff7P

Last edited:
I don't see a problem so far... has it happened again? Was there a windows update and it shutdown? I mean, our guess is as good as yours now...

let us know if it happens again is my take.

There's no power so not sure what you mean when asking if it happened again. I'm running Linux (Ubuntu).

ok so opened case, hit reset button on mobo and pushed a couple power connectors and then switched power ..voila.. working again.

But most troublesome to me is why this happened by itself overnight in the first place and if it will happen again.

Sometimes this seems like voodoo!

Please host the pictures here at the site. You should also create a signature with your hardware specs in it so we can see it with every posts and you don't have to put PCP links for others to see. ;)

There's no power at all... good to know now!!!!! Who knows.. Gremlins.

Normally that means there was a power outage. At least for me the symptoms are pretty much the same. When power cuts out suddenly I can't power back on right away. I just hit the switch on back of PSU to go to 240v for a minute to completely reset power to the system, switch it back and powers right up. I also have a 1000w EVGA, not as nice a unit though. Its the first PSU I've ever had to do this with.

Thanks...makes sense, unsettled weather overnight so might be what happened. But wouldn't that mean that anytime I unplug and replug my PSU (which I do fairly often) I would have to reset it? Never had to reset anything before.

Last edited:
Thanks...makes sense, unsettled weather overnight so might be what happened. But wouldn't that mean that anytime I unplug and replug my PSU (which I do fairly often) I would have to reset it? Never had to reset anything before.

Nope. Unless you pull the cable out while the system is on and operational, there should be no issues.

The reason that it had the issue with the power outage is that an outage isn't necessarily due to power just stopping; Its a safety device that cuts power after a SURGE(or surplus power) comes through to prevent wires from melting or catching fire. It's this surge of unregulated power that causes the PSU to not boot because it detects its capacitor banks aren't the correct voltage/amperage/wattage whatever, and prevents itself from powering on so you dont dose your system with 100 volts, instantly frying everything in the system.

Other PSUs had different ways to combat this issue, EVGA opted for this method to ensure a clean power delivery.

The reason why pressing buttons on your mobo worked is because by doing that, you drained those capacitors. You do something similar before you begin working on a PSU's internals.(unplug the psu, and hold the power button on your case. This drains the dangerous high amperage and voltage from the capacitor banks allowing for you to safely work on an inert unit.)

Last edited:
Back