• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help...no power on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Hi. This is my 2nd build, so not a TOTAL novice but..

Just completed a build in my new Enthoo Luxe case last night.

My build seemed successful, was able to power up, but I was getting a CPU_FAN error on boot forcing me to enter the BIOS and adjust CPU_FAN settings, My fans were running at 100%.

Tried a couple times without luck, each time after booting received the same error message.

So I assumed a fan header connection issue which I would try and resolve in the morning.

This morning when I switched on my PSU, nothing!. Normally I see LED's on my mobo light up indicating I am successfully receiving power.

Don't recall having this exact problem before.
My mobo and PSU are about 1 year old.

Is it possible my MOBO is fried?

What are some further troubleshooting steps I can take?
Panic is setting in....

What psu/mobo are you using?
why aren't you using your CPU_Fan to connect your CPU fan or AIO?
are all power connectors connected properly (24 pin, 4/8pin, power button, psu cable yes i know this sounds dumb)
clear CMOS just in case
if this doesn't work a more drastic few steps are required.

(if you have a custom loop check for leakage first and try the following without taking your computer apart)
get your mobo box and take apart your system and put your mobo on the box along with the CPU (and cooler) and connect your PSU and see if it gets power on your mobo and boot. Slowly start adding more hardware (shutdown and remove power everytime you add a piece of hardware ofcourse): memory, GPU, HDD(/SDD/M.2) and finally if you still have one ODD.

Thanks for the support and hand holding.
EVGA 1000W 80Plus
ASUS X99-A2

Will double check my power cables to my mobo as a first step.

I am using 4 different 4pin fan headers on the mobo

PUMP- going directly to the pump connector on my Swiftech H240X2 WC

CPU_FAN - this is going to a 4 pin fan hub on my Enthoo Luxe case
This fan hub also receives 12v power and in turn connects 4 other 3pin fans

CPU_OPT- going to another fan hub connector for my Swiftech H240X2 WC
This fan hub also receives 12 volt power and powers 2 3 pin LED connectors and 2 4 pin case fans.

CHA_FAN- going to 1 additional case fan

relief...it was a power connector issue.
Now just have to resolve the CPU_FAN error I am getting

Connect a fan separately to the CPU fan header after disconnecting the fan hub to the case. Your BIOS is looking for a fan, not a powered hub. May not seem to make sense, just give it a try.

Yup... im guessing the cpu fan header going to a hub isnt playing nice with the motherboard. As was said above, disable monitoring it in the bios (look around for it should be in monitoring).

This issue seems to be ongoing.
Shutdown overnight bur left power on as I normally do. LED's on motherboard still visible.

In morning no power whatsoever.

Other than checking power cable connections what are suggested troubleshooting steps?

My PSU is a 1 year old EVGA 1000W 80 plus and mobo ASUS X99-A2.

I am guessing this is a partial upgrade then if your mobo is a year old. What parts have you gone from and which parts are the new ones.

Do you have the old cpu etc?

Did it just go into sleep mode? Pressing a keyboard button didnt turn it on?

Eco, create a signature with your parts in it please...

My parts list
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/eco_bach/saved/#view=3p2kTW
100% accurate except I have 1 Titan XP and 1 GTX1080

Only thing that is 'new' is the case. PSU is EVGA 1000W platinum.

What puzzles me about this issue is
1- total lack of power to mobo
2- no cause and effect, it seems to have happened without reason, ie my PC was stable and working for several days after my new build. When I went to sleep there was power to my mobo. When I woke up it was gone!

First thing I assume is to do a jumper test on my PSU and confirm my PSU itself is not the issue. I can probably as a first step just listen closely to see if I can hear the PSU fan(with ECO mode set to off of course!)

Away from my PC at the moment...will tackle this evening but any other troubleshooting steps appreciated!

You said it was a power connector issue the first time. What exactly are you doing to get it powering back up?
Do you live in an older house? Could be bad wiring, might need a UPS.

Parts list... awesome eco. Please create a SIGNATURE so it is in every post. ;)

See how Daleon has his?? It doesn't need to be fancy and full of color, just list the parts.

You said it was a power connector issue the first time. What exactly are you doing to get it powering back up?
Do you live in an older house? Could be bad wiring, might need a UPS.

To be honest not sure how I fixed it the first time:)
Just powered down, took the case off and double checked cables by applying pressure, flipped the eco switch.

Doubt it is wiring since my previous build with same parts ran fine for almost a year without issue.

My suggestion at this point would be to pull all the parts out and set the PC up on a table or the box. Just the motherboard/CPU/RAm a video card and power. This will narrow down HW problem or possible issue with grounding in the case.

Thanks again for your feedback. Quick question, if it IS a case grounding issue, wouldn't I still get power to my mobo(ie see LED's)?

Not always. Most likely the only way you're going to figure out what the issue is is by rebuilding it again. There's something goin on in there. Could be a screw rolling arond on something or a loos connection. If you build it out side of the case and it works then start rebuiling it and testing after you install components.
When you bought the luxe did you also get an LED extension to connect to the ASUS board? If so did you plug the sata power into the case for the LED stips on the case. If you did you're not supposed to.

Last edited:
Right BUT if there is an LED extension to the MB for case light control the SATA power is not needed. The dual power feed to the lights might trip the PSU and appear as if the PC is dead

Back