• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED High Pagefault latency Windows7x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Solder

I found a piece of software to take a look at system latencies "LatencyMon" and it shows a huge pagefault latency. Has anyone used this before? It also states my system seems to
have difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. What gives? I disabled HPET in BIOS and the kernel latency jumped way up so I enabled it again in BIOS only which is what
is shown here. I have left the default setting in Windows for HPET after testing a few months back. It had a negative impact on the system after changing it to enabled from the
default which I believe is some kind of blend of timings used. My page file is on my SSD. I really don't understand why I would get such a report/statement re: this system. Any thoughts?

LatencyMonitor.PNG

Alright, maybe this is one of those situations where if it's not busy doing something it's not performing at it's peak efficiency. There is still the high latency regarding the
pagefault resolution time. This is an image taken again while streaming a movie. The DPC is still high I think, well compared to some I was reading about earlier.

LatencyMonWithNetflix.PNG

Last edited:
I have used dpclatency checker for the same issue. Your overclocks may be causing instability if you have any. I had this issue because I was supplying too little voltage for my clock.

My CPU is at 1.352V and absolutely zero instability. I'll try adding .01 but this is the max voltage before the temps really start to rise. I can't say I've noticed any problems regarding speed or software loading
because I haven't, she's rock solid as far as I can tell.

Oh I tought you had dpc latency. Well, what use is pagefile to you anyway. Even if it is in raid, I guess thats as good as it gets. If it is playing audio files and hd videos properly, you've got nothing to worry about.

My experience with that latency is that when I push my processor way too hard with voltage(mine doesnt like anyting over 1.5), it starts playing audio files skipping a cycle every once in a while. Kinda breaks the timing. Infuriating when I want to listen to some music between benches.

And by the way, pagefile on dual ssd'so_O incredible waste of space unless you are running processes that use it fully

Last edited:
I have always read people saying turn off the pagefile then the retort disabling the paging file could result in some problems. I've done it both ways and I don't see a difference either way so I set the
pagefile to 2000MB and have left it alone since. That way, if something needs to use a paging file, it's there to use. Not a large one but something there just in case.

Are you actually having any problems with jerky video or audio drop problems?
I ran the program and it jumps up the hard pagefault cont in just seconds, looks like as soon as my background changes it jumps into the red. I can also mimic the same DPC spike simply by opening a new page in IE caused bu a network driver. I don't think that it handles SSD systems very well as the hard pagefaults times usually indicate a lack of memory that neither of us have. It might be useful on a sytem that has problems to begin with but not to much if your not experiencing hangs or BSOD's.

I was thinking the same thing about SSD's. Thanks for confirming it shadowdr. I'm not having any issues with my system that I can see, hear, or otherwise, I was a bit concerned thinking there might be an underlying issue I wasn't aware of.

Back