• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Quality Overclocking capable 650~750+Watt PSU suggestion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FranBunnyFFXII

Registered
I was reading reviews of a PSU I had already selected out that was suggested to me, and after seeing "Catches on fire" too many times I'm deciding to look at other PSU suggestions.
I'm doing research for my next PC build.

CPU: i7 5820K
GPU: R9 290X
RAM: 2133mhz 16GB quad channel
I plan on overclocking them for gaming, and this system will only ever have a single GPU in it.
I'm looking for high quality and value PSUs with reliability and overclocking, but possibly less than 100$USD? Can be more.
Favoring Seasonic, Delta Electronics, or Superflower OEM, but doesn't have to be. I don't really care about the brand (No EVGA), looks, or modular.

Any suggestions that have really high reliability and longevity as well as overclocking capable? I don't plan on going LN2, liquid or any crazy cooling, or extreme overclocking.

go to jonnyguru.com and check out his reviews. he is the man when it comes to psu's, he calls it as he sees it.
he may even have a review unit for sale here. those that he sells will be spot on. if he has found anything with the particular unit he will go through it and make it better than factory

1st question: Why no EVGA? The Supernova G2 is probably the highest rated PSU series out right now.

2nd question: Why a 290x? I mean, if it's a gaming machine, on the X99 platform, shouldn't it have the latest and greatest? Right now, top tier is the 980Ti, which can easily be had if you drop down to Z97 and a 4790K and that setup would actually do better gaming because of the high clock speed.

1st question: Why no EVGA? The Supernova G2 is probably the highest rated PSU series out right now.
Personal conflict, the companies policies I encoutnered were unacceptable behavior.
I will never buy another EVGA product for that reason.

Why a 290X? I ALREADY OWN IT.
These are parts I already have.(Except the ram, I don't have the RAM yet)
I didnt ask for suggestions on graphics cards, I'm asking for suggstions on Powersupplies.
Also I don't use Nvidia anymore, their driver stability drove me away and I've had a far better experience with AMD's drivers.

But again this isnt the thread to debate with me my other part choices, it's to discuss what PSUs within the 650~750 watt range that would be reliable higher quality value choices for my rig.

Last edited:
EVGA is seriously the best high quality and bang for the buck... but since you won't get over not using them, go nuts and get corsair ax series for a lot more cost but the same quality as the EVGA. :)

Fran, if I were you I'd seriously consider Dejo's advice on JonnyGuru's reviews. I've always liked Corsair and I hear Seasonic is stellar too, though I have no personal experience with them. I know Corsair has some High end stuff and some run of the mill as well which is why its important to read up.

@dejo - Fran doesn't have her post count yet so no access to the classies. I know O_W has some larger units for sale (1000W & 1600W IIRC) not sure about the 6-700W range though.

EDIT: Bored at work so...(in no particular order)

BeQuiet 800W

Corsair HX750i 750W

CoolerMaster VSM 750W

SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W

Last edited:
EVGA is seriously the best high quality and bang for the buck... but since you won't get over not using them, go nuts and get corsair ax series for a lot more cost but the same quality as the EVGA. :)

You are never going to convince me to buy something with an EVGA label on it, so don't even try.
Just accept that some people don't put up with anti LGBT sentiment.
Unless they're going to issue some form of public apology for their behavior during the DADT issue and their comments regarding it, EVGA is dead to me.

So just
PO222YC.jpg
Let it go.

Fran, if I were you I'd seriously consider Dejo's advice on JonnyGuru's reviews. I've always liked Corsair and I hear Seasonic is stellar too, though I have no personal experience with them. I know Corsair has some High end stuff and some run of the mill as well which is why its important to read up.

@Dejo - Fran doesn't have her post count yet so no access to the classies. I know O_W has some larger units for sale (1000W & 1600W IIRC) not sure about the 6-700W range though.

EDIT: Bored at work so...(in no particular order)

BeQuiet 800W

Corsair HX750i 750W

CoolerMaster VSM 750W

SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W

From what I've read and seen on Overclock.net, the PSU guys over there are pretty supportive of seasonic OEM, as well as Delta Electronics, and superflower.
I've got my eye on this one atm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151107

Last edited:
Well LGBT DADT talk aside (I could care less about swaying you, just letting you know you are bypassing one of the best bang for the buck PSUs, legitimate reasons for you or not), look at the link in my signature for quality PSUs. Those on the list were approved by JG and other QUALITY reviewers. Outside of your personal hangups, any on that list are quality units. Pick one from there.

Good luck!

Plenty of good PSUs that aren't made by evga guys. He doesn't like em, and that's his call. I won't buy another Kingston product for similar reasons.
Seasonic m12ii are great, I don't think they have a 750 though.

Fran, something else to look at is warranty duration.

BeQuiet 5yrs

Corsair 3-7yrs(model dependent)

Cooler Master 2-7yrs(model dependent)

SuperFlower ? (Not Listed)

Seasonic 5-7yrs(model dependent)

so what does being gay and buying a good psu have to do with eachother? im so confused as to what is going on right now. you asked we told. you dont want to take advice, dont, thats your freedom too.

You are never going to convince me to buy something with an EVGA label on it, so don't even try.
Just accept that some people don't put up with anti LGBT sentiment.
Unless they're going to issue some form of public apology for their behavior during the DADT issue and their comments regarding it, EVGA is dead to me.

After hearing about this multiple times from you, but not being able to find it anywhere online, I would like to see some sort of source to this.

Leave it alone Wage and ATM........I dont even want to see a reply from Fran on this either... this LGBT thing just needs to be left alone....................................................Overclockers.com is not the place to bring it up and discuss it in public (see forum rules about political posts, etc). If you all want to PM and hear the story, have it. :)

@ Fran - Didn't we go over your PSU thing already...........(yes! :)): http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-(MMORPG-Video-editing)?p=7820298#post7820298

Last edited:
Personal conflict, the companies policies I encoutnered were unacceptable behavior.
I will never buy another EVGA product for that reason.

Why a 290X? I ALREADY OWN IT.
These are parts I already have.(Except the ram, I don't have the RAM yet)
I didnt ask for suggestions on graphics cards, I'm asking for suggstions on Powersupplies.
Also I don't use Nvidia anymore, their driver stability drove me away and I've had a far better experience with AMD's drivers.

But again this isnt the thread to debate with me my other part choices, it's to discuss what PSUs within the 650~750 watt range that would be reliable higher quality value choices for my rig.

Bub, your hostile attitude towards the people trying to find out your reasonings and specifics to HELP YOU is only going to get you no help. How was I to know that you already had the 290x (you didn't have your sig when I posted)? How was I to know that you have some sort of animosity towards Nvidia, and how was I to know that you were against EVGA's policies unless I ASKED?

The reason I asked, is because A) X99 for that system is overkill, B) the 980Ti is miles more powerful and probably would end up costing about the same if you didn't go X99 (the whole purpose in going X99 is for the PCIe lanes, so you can do 3 and 4 GPU SLI/Xfire), and C) these two systems have very different power requirements, meaning we would recommend very different PSUs for each system.

You really shouldn't be so apprehensive. We are only trying to help, and freaking out in a forum where people are helping you for free (and yes, that is what I consider you to be doing when you tell people to "let it go" and type in all caps) is only going to persuade us to let this thread die.

Having said all of that, my recommendation is the Seasonic G Series 650W.

It's not hostile when he's asked many times for a suggestion other than evga. Who cares what a product is rated. If you don't like the company, there's no reason to support them (*cough Kingston cough*). Their reason is their own, who gives a crap what it is?

There's too many high quality PSUs out there to badger him about a single company.

Leave it alone Wage and ATM........I dont even want to see a reply from Fran on this either... this LGBT thing just needs to be left alone....................................................Overclockers.com is not the place to bring it up and discuss it in public (see forum rules about political posts, etc). If you all want to PM and hear the story, have it. :)

@ Fran - Didn't we go over your PSU thing already...........(yes! :)): http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-(MMORPG-Video-editing)?p=7820298#post7820298

We went over power range. :p

Also guys and gals here.
I'm a woman, not a he. lol.
And my Stance on EVGA wont change anytime soon.

Bub, your hostile attitude towards the people trying to find out your reasonings and specifics to HELP YOU is only going to get you no help. How was I to know that you already had the 290x (you didn't have your sig when I posted)? How was I to know that you have some sort of animosity towards Nvidia, and how was I to know that you were against EVGA's policies unless I ASKED?

The reason I asked, is because A) X99 for that system is overkill, B) the 980Ti is miles more powerful and probably would end up costing about the same if you didn't go X99 (the whole purpose in going X99 is for the PCIe lanes, so you can do 3 and 4 GPU SLI/Xfire), and C) these two systems have very different power requirements, meaning we would recommend very different PSUs for each system.

You really shouldn't be so apprehensive. We are only trying to help, and freaking out in a forum where people are helping you for free (and yes, that is what I consider you to be doing when you tell people to "let it go" and type in all caps) is only going to persuade us to let this thread die.

Having said all of that, my recommendation is the Seasonic G Series 650W.

Don't you think it's just a little bit rude to go and throw something in someone's face and demand they have something that agrees with your point of view and not theres?

Think about really quick.
Maybe there was a reason that I posted the 290X?
Well there was, and it was because I already own it.

You may want to help, but you're not helping if you're posting directly offtopic, impressing your own view point and disregarding the information that's already been posted.

I don't care about the 980Ti, I already own an 290X. You probably should have at least thought "maybe she listed those parts because well she might already have them."

Don't tell me how to build a PC becuase I didnt ask you to, Tell me what you think is a great PSU is for this current timeframe that handles overclocking well, Which is what I did ask for.

Oy...... I'd like to keep the bickering at home... where my two children are... enough people. :thup:

@ Fran - You have a list of quality PSUs in my signature to go off of. You were going off another list (OCNs?) in another thread. You know Seasonic is good from top to bottom. You know what wattage range to look for. More suggestions were listed in this thread too...

...looks like you just need to pick one and be done with it.

Oy...... I'd like to keep the bickering at home... where my two children are... enough people. :thup:

@ Fran - You have a list of quality PSUs in my signature to go off of. You were going off another list (OCNs?) in another thread. You know Seasonic is good from top to bottom. You know what wattage range to look for. More suggestions were listed in this thread too...

...looks like you just need to pick one and be done with it.

I think I said this before but I post the same topic in multiple places to get a wider view of ideas.
Each community has it's own echo chamber and suggestions, I think it's good to find out a few communities preferences and then pursue what seems to be most similar in interest all the way around.
It's not means to be rude or disregard anything that's been said, I take all the comments into account and put all the ideas together
Savvy?

Seems everywhere I got seasonic gets a very positive reputation though.

Plenty of good PSUs that aren't made by evga guys. He doesn't like em, and that's his call. I won't buy another Kingston product for similar reasons.
Seasonic m12ii are great, I don't think they have a 750 though.

You think the M12II from Seasonic is a worthy venture?
I'll keep that on my main list then.
Any reviews of it?

You did say that before, and as I also said, you just need to pick one at this time (weeks ago). :)

Sure there are reviews for it. And yes it is worthy, that is why he said it and it was mentioned the entire seasonic line is above average to great. Here is how I find reviews (give a woman a fish/teach a woman to fish...). I go to google and type [NAME OF PSU] + REVIEW + Jonnyguru/TPU/[H]. There are other reputable sites like TPU, [H], etc...those three are what I would search.

For example... http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/05/18/seasonic_m12ii620_power_supply_review/#.VXdB6s9VhBc

Overkill. Its just time to make an informed decision. You have the tools to do so between OCN, your other thread, and this one. :)

You did say that before, and as I also said, you just need to pick one at this time (weeks ago). :)

Sure there are reviews for it. And yes it is worthy, that is why he said it and mentioned the entire seasonic line is great. Here is how I find reviews (give a woman a fish/teach a woman to fish...). I go to google and type [NAME OF PSU] + REVIEW + Jonnyguru/TPU/[H]. There are other reputable sites like TPU, [H], etc...those three are what I would search.

For example... http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/05/18/seasonic_m12ii620_power_supply_review/#.VXdB6s9VhBc

Overkill. Its just time to make an informed decision. You have the tools to do so. :)

But if we all just googled things, we'd never need a forum :<

Back