• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high temp on motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TooTeck

Registered
Hi guys
I not sure if I'm writing this in right part of the forum but I hope I do.

I get really high temp on something I'm not sure what it is (maybe cpu socket?) Can you tell me what is it ? Or how to check what it is.
I have ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX MO and AMD FX 4300. before I had AMD Athlon II x250 and had same problem.

Welcome to OCF TooTeck
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's definitely your motherboard that's heating up. We use a program called HWMontitor free. Here's a pic

4_8.JPG

The temp in red is the socket and the yellow one is the package or core. If you want to run that CPU you really do NEED to get a better motherboard. You might blow that one up and take the CPU with it.

I've found this problem a few moths ago when I was using old cpu and I bought new cpu 2 moths ago, it'd be bad if this broke.
I have in plans new pc but I'm planing to buy it at the mid/end April so I hope MB will hold until then.

I would be very wary of running that CPU in that board because of this.

Asrock 960.JPG

Here's a shot of the power delivery on the Sabertooth. I'm not saying you need to get the Sabertooth to run that CPU since you don't a good M5A99FX would be fine. This is just to show you how inadequate your current board is.

Sabertooth power.JPG

Those guys will steer you in the right direction. I find if you get too many hands in the pie it can get messy. I'm with you though on two points. Never been a fan of small boards and I like ASUS DCII cards.

To be honest, at the moment I want Asus card , but I can't decided between Intel and AMD.
PPl says AMD is way worst than intel, but I had so many times AMD cpu and never failed me. I fighting with myself what to choose.

Hands down the INTEL will give you more raw horsepower. AMD is fine but usually takes a bit more work to optimize and still doesn't have the performance that an Intel would give. I have both. I game just fine on AMD and that's what my gamer is. 9370 @ 4.7 and a couple Asus GTX770 DCII. A lot of the experience will come down to what games you play. There are some that are very CPU dependent and will run better on Intel. If the game uses the graphics card like it should you won't notice the difference in game play. I've never been big on the help me build my PC threads just because I see merits for both systems but find my AMD more fun since I like to tinker and tweak. The Intel "looks" expensive up front but by the time you factor in all the parts and required cooling an FX needs the price is about the same.

I don't think I will be able to choose myself and that at the end I will toss a coin to choose. I don't think I will be able to choose myself.

To be honest the list that OCNoob put together for you is pretty decent. Swap out the vid card for an ASUS and you'll be good to go for quite a few years. Plus there's very little work to making that INTEL system run. Go into BIOS set the XMP profile for your ram and that's it. You're pretty much done unless you want to overclock it.

I was never big fan on overclocking but everyone does it now, and I'm staring to think to do it on new system. I was always scare that I ruin pc.

As long as you keep the temperatures in check then all is good. If you decide that you want to with the new system we're always around to give you a hand.

thx for all your help. You help me make decision. And I'll remember your offer on help with overclocking :)

Back