• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High temps- 4790K and 290X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KDSNA

Registered
Hi everyone,

I recently completed my loop with 4790k and a single 290x. The 290x temps are good (never over 55C after a long gaming session), good temps both on the cores and on the 2 VRMs (i can monitor both VRMs).

The 4790k, however, gets hot very fast- 65C while gaming, and that is a lot more than i expected.

I have one 360 radiator and one 240 radiator, an MCP655-B, an EK block on the GPU and an EK Supremacy HF block for the CPU.

Both CPU and GPU are at stock speeds, and the stock voltage for the CPU under load is 1.171V, which should be quite nice for this CPU.

When using Prime95 large FFTs it jumps to 70C, and with small FFTs it will go close to the 90s, very unimpressive.

Anyone have any suggestions? (i will be reseating the CPU block, but any other thoughts?)

Thanks

Do you have stock temps to compare to? Or any temps from before the switch to water?

Did you remember to take this off the WB

View attachment 167996

Yes, this is not my first loop.

Do you have stock temps to compare to? Or any temps from before the switch to water?

No- i have added the 290x only recently, and simultaneously added the 240 and replaced my old apogee XT to the supremacy HF. I do have some temps with a 360 and the XT- stock temps where up to 70C with the small FFT, as far as i can remember.

65c while gaming for the 4790k does not seem extraordinarily high nor does the high 80's while running prime. It is possible that you may need to reset the block or TIM but I'd bet you just have one of the "Hot" 4790k's that we have seen come through the forums from time to time.

65c while gaming for the 4790k does not seem extraordinarily high nor does the high 80's while running prime. It is possible that you may need to reset the block or TIM but I'd bet you just have one of the "Hot" 4790k's that we have seen come through the forums from time to time.

From what i've seen, it was usually hot because of high stock voltage, but this isn't the case with this one. I will reseat it, i hope it will change. It would really suck to be limited by temps, i should be able to go to a higher voltage and still have reasonable temps.

Thanks.

From what i've seen, it was usually hot because of high stock voltage, but this isn't the case with this one. I will reseat it, i hope it will change. It would really suck to be limited by temps, i should be able to go to a higher voltage and still have reasonable temps.

Thanks.
Well I can tell you, I have one of the "Hot" 4770 k's and it seems that some of the 4790k's are the same even with the improvements to the TIM and additional capacitors. On a full custom loop as you have, with a 360 rad cooling the Cpu only I'm temp limited to 4.4 with 1.23 V. My Prime temps are near 100C at that voltage, even at stock with I believe 1.15 V my temps are in the 80's running Prime.

Well I can tell you, I have one of the "Hot" 4770 k's and it seems that some of the 4790k's are the same even with the improvements to the TIM and additional capacitors. On a full custom loop as you have, with a 360 rad cooling the Cpu only I'm temp limited to 4.4 with 1.23 V. My Prime temps are near 100C at that voltage, even at stock with I believe 1.15 V my temps are in the 80's running Prime.

That sucks. What test are you running to get those results?

Prime Blend, I've also tested it on my benching H2O rig with 2 gallons of fluid, 360 mm rad 6 x 2200 rpm fans at 100% in push pull and a 750 Gph pond pump with similar results.

Back