• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher-End Build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Registered
This will be my first time assembling a computer from scratch. I have put on/replaced parts from my current computer, but never fully built one, so any tips are greatly appreciated!

Here's what I have planned for 2016. I want to be able to run nearly any game at a very high FPS at 1920x1080p. I don't want to be any more expensive than this, in-fact, if there is a comparable graphics card for a lower price, that'd be preferable.

Tips/thoughts on the build? Thanks!

23579858611_57e8cf3c26_o.jpg

I realized I forgot to put a harddrive. I have a 128GB SSD sitting ready to go, as well as a 1TB HD.

you have picked an amd mother board that will not wok with your cpu.
replace that with the asrock extreme 4 or extreme 3, socket 1150 board and you will be well on the way
I would like to see a 240 gig ssd in this build.

Can't put an Intel processor in an AMD motherboard.

EDIT- DOH! too slow.

Whoooops! Replaced with the ASRock Extreme6. Any other tips?

After looking at it, could I get away with the cheaper Micro-ATX ASRock H97M Pro4, instead of the Extreme4/6?

Last edited:
please replace the pcpartspicer list in post #1.
do you need the extreme 6 board for a special feature?
the 4 should cover most uses.

Caddi has you on the right trail!

My only other suggestion would be to get RAM that has a lower CAS rating.
Try to find some 2133 CL9.

Whoooops! Replaced with the ASRock Extreme6. Any other tips?

After looking at it, could I get away with the cheaper Micro-ATX ASRock H97M Pro4, instead of the Extreme4/6?
If you want to save some cash get the Asrock Z97 Ext 4. If and when it comes time to sell the components, overclockable components such as a Z97 and a 4960k will hold their value better. If you went with the H97 board you may as well drop the chip to the I5 4960 non K and just use the stock heatsink.

also, some games need a faster cpu, like flight sim10.
so a "K" chip on a z97 board with an 212 evo might be in order.

Here's the updated build;

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9BtC7P

CPU: *Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series ($89.99)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($123.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $994.79.

I'm looking to save a little bit more money, the only spots I can see saving money are in the cooler, and the case. Any suggestions on a cheaper cooler? I would like to keep something quiet, although I enjoy the white theme/blue that the cooler and case have going on. That might be reason alone for me to keep it, and bite the cost. Especially since the mobo and RAM are also blue.

Again, open to suggestions, so let's hear 'em! Thank you to everyone who has been helping so far!

So I've taken nearly everyone's tips and opinions and came up with this build. This is all from Newegg, which I have free shipping with, and without mail-in-rebates taken into consideration. (Let's be honest, I wouldn't do it anyway.) Keep in mind, I have a 1TB HD ready as well.

23571569192_9e95d825bc_b.jpg

For those who can not see the picture;

CPU: *Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99)
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 Mid Tower Chassis ($65.99)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 RL-KRX41-01 140mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling ($107.29)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($38.99)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card:MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5T OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 Video Card ($339.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 100-B1-0600-KR 80 PLUS Bronze 600W Power Supply ($49.99)

Total: $957.23.

Final thoughts?

I would stick to a dual fan radiator or go to an air cooler (the one I suggested matches the build too), but other than that it's good.

Looks like people here have you going in the right direction.

Is there any specific reason you're going with a liquid cooler over an air one? You souls be able to get a quality air cooler that will perform similarly for less money than the liquid one.

Also, this is a good list of components you want to buy, but it sounds like you aren't going to be purchasing this right away. If that is the case, I would revisit this thread the day or week you plan to buy a particular component. There are sales every day and many of the parts like memory, psu, and video card can be swapped out for a similar performing model from a different brand at a substantial savings during a good sale. For example, there is usually a 970 from a reputable brand on sale for $290-300 at all times. Don't get locked into buying the specific part you have in this list.

Last edited:
Looks like people here have you going in the right direction.

Is there any specific reason you're going with a liquid cooler over an air one? You souls be able to get a quality air cooler that will perform similarly for less money than the liquid one.

Also, this is a good list of components you want to buy, but it sounds like you aren't going to be purchasing this right away. If that is the case, I would revisit this thread the day or week you plan to buy a particular component. There are sales every day and many of the parts like memory, psu, and video card can be swapped out for a similar performing model from a different brand at a substantial savings during a good sale. For example, there is usually a 970 from a reputable brand on sale for $290-300 at all times. Don't get locked into buying the specific part you have in this list.

Honestly, I just like the look of the AIO cooler more than any air cooler. Since it's my first computer I'm building from scratch, I really want to make it look good as well. Ya know?

I would recommend getting a 250gb ssd. 120gb fills so quickly that if you can get it for a slight increase in cost it would be worth every penny.

Agreed with the others on the warercooler. If you can't afford or get a dual fan radiator then you are better off with an air cooler as it will likely perform the same or better for cheaper (and very possibly be quieter).

I would recommend getting a 250gb ssd. 120gb fills so quickly that if you can get it for a slight increase in cost it would be worth every penny.

Agreed with the others on the warercooler. If you can't afford or get a dual fan radiator then you are better off with an air cooler as it will likely perform the same or better for cheaper (and very possibly be quieter).

I'll spend the extra $30 and get the dual fan radiator then. :) Thank you!

Most people here will shy away from MSI boards.
Right now, Asrock is the technology leader regarding that platform.
If you're afraid of the Extreme4, upgrade to a better Asrock model.

Take Newegg reviews with a very large grain of salt. Most are done by poeple that don't actually own the product, or have little to no PC tech experience.

Here's what I'm at currently:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: *Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($123.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $$934.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-13 10:59 EST-0500

EDIT:

Most people here will shy away from MSI boards.
Right now, Asrock is the technology leader regarding that platform.
If you're afraid of the Extreme4, upgrade to a better Asrock model.

Take Newegg reviews with a very large grain of salt. Most are done by poeple that don't actually own the product, or have little to no PC tech experience.

Did not know this, I'll keep doing my research then! I've still got another month or so until I decide to bite the bullet and buy it.

Back