• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher-End Build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Another quick question. I've been reading some reviews on Newegg about the ASRock Extreme4...and it's kind of scared me. A lot of people are saying it stops functioning after just a few months. Does anyone have a suggestion for a different motherboard?

I was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130801

Any thoughts?

I would trust the reviews on newegg. I've used Asrock in the last few builds I have done, and they are solid performers. There is a good reason why people here recommend Asrock.

Most people here will shy away from MSI boards.
Right now, Asrock is the technology leader regarding that platform.
If you're afraid of the Extreme4, upgrade to a better Asrock model.
Pretty sure the issues with Msi boards are more on the AMD side Scotty. As far as newegg reviews I'd bet if you look on almost every manufacturer you'll find people complaining about a component. Most people will not post a review if something is working the way it should. I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 from 2011 that has been running my I5 2500k at 4.5 Ghz since day one without a hiccup. It was also good enough to do this on Air. I have no issues recommending an Asrock motherboard and is arguably one of the better boards for the money. If you're hesitant I also have no issues with the Msi board, most Z97 motherboards will give the average user everything they need out of it. It's only when one starts wanting to push to extremes ie overclocking on Sub ambient cooling, when one really needs to buy a board with top end components.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't trust the reviews on newegg. I've used Asrock in the last few builds I have done, and they are solid performers. There is a good reason why people here recommend Asrock.
Fixed that for you MM :D

Pretty sure the issues with Msi boards are more on the AMD side Scotty.

Yes, I know that. Still, Asrock is the better manufacturer regarding this platform. If it's in the correct price range for the OP, why not get the better product.

Pretty sure the issues with Msi boards are more on the AMD side Scotty. As far as newegg reviews I'd bet if you look on almost every manufacturer you'll find people complaining about a component. Most people will not post a review if something is working the way it should. I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 from 2011 that has been running my I5 2500k at 4.5 Ghz since day one without a hiccup. It was also good enough to do this on Air. I have no issues recommending an Asrock motherboard and is arguably one of the better boards for the money. If you're hesitant I also have no issues with the Msi board, most Z97 motherboards will give the average user everything they need out of it. It's only when one starts wanting to push to extremes ie overclocking on Sub ambient cooling, when one really needs to buy a board with top end components.

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed that for you MM :D

At most I'm going to be pushing 4.5Ghz, so I wouldn't think of myself as a high-end user. Haha. Thanks for the words!

Hey guys! Back again, so I've purchased pretty much everything, still deciding between the motherboards, but I'll probably go with the Extreme4.

Another quick question I have- I'm looking to run colored sleeved cables, so I'm not wrong in thinking I'll need a modular power supply for that, correct?

Does anyone know of any good modular power supplies up to $100?

It'll be more than enough :)

Awesome! Well that was the last piece to the puzzle! Hopefully everything should be here in time for Christmas, so I can spend my day off after Christmas building it!

I'll keep everyone updated with a build thread probably! Thank you for the help guys, you've been awesome.

What's up guys!

So I swung over to UPS, picked up the last pieces of the puzzle and got to work. A few hours later, I'm now done!

2.JPG 3.JPG

One more question! I installed Windows 10, but I have two drives, one SSD and one HD. On my computer, they are both merged as C://. Is there any way to split these two up? When I was installing Windows, I made sure to select the SSD.

Very nice setup 636! You may want to re install windows with only the SSD connected then after you're done attach the HD. Sometimes when installing Windows when both drives are connected, it will put the MBR (master boot record) on the second drive.

Back