• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HL2: Lost Coast... finally!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

this just popped up in my steam news:

"Our current plan is to release Half-Life 2: Lost Coast next week. Lost Coast is a free level for everyone who owns Half-Life 2, and serves as an HDR technology demo based in an unreleased section of the "Highway 17" chapter of Half-Life 2."

yay!!!

I think I've read that Valve uses v2 shaders for their hdr light. That means it should work with the fx line and up for nvidia, and for ATI cards that should include the x series and upwards and I belive there are some if not all of 9000 series card support v2 shaders.

But that doesn't matter. What matters is your card fast enough for this? This is a technology demo where they gone all the way with the eyecandy. I think I read somewhere that you should atleast have a 6800gt/x800(?) to get the full experience.

Meh you got me excited, I thought you where going to say it was out. :(

Not sure if this is reliable:
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/06/14/hl2_hdr_overview/1.html
Valve recently revealed that they are working on a special HDR showcase for Half Life 2 titled Lost Coast. Whilst Far Cry only implemented HDR via Shader Model 3.0, hence only working on Nvidia's latest-generation cards, Lost Coast will implement it via Shader Model 2.0, allowing for it to work on ATI's current generation

Hmmm... kind off i guess, but it should be just as "dumbed" down for nvidia... I will try to run lost coast, but I don't have high expectations for my card...

why was ATI so dumb to not allow PS3.0 and VS3.0... thats the only thing keeping me from this x800 i bought.. im in a struggle between a 6600gt and a x800. the x800 kills the 6600gt even when overclock.. man, i just dont know.. BTW - im playing through HL2 right now and im where you first get that anti gravity gun thing that you can throw humans with.. kinda sweet ;)

EvilCloudStrife said:
why was ATI so dumb to not allow PS3.0 and VS3.0... thats the only thing keeping me from this x800 i bought.. im in a struggle between a 6600gt and a x800. the x800 kills the 6600gt even when overclock.. man, i just dont know.. BTW - im playing through HL2 right now and im where you first get that anti gravity gun thing that you can throw humans with.. kinda sweet ;)

your just now playing HL2!1! wtf?

Back