• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HL2 (or something else?) question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
afg34 said:
You could just install a "no cd" crack and u dont need any cd no more. Its the easiest way. I use it all the time...

I did that with Diablo2. I paid for it and want to be able to run it without needing to insert the disk each time. I'm a software developer and I fully support people being paid for their work, but it has to be balanced.

Zulu-1 said:
besides, you dont need the CD for HL2.... :-/

But that appears to be the tradeoff. Either some online scheme to verify that you have the right to play the game or you need an actual CD to play.

I took the time and read the posts...

Steam is a content delivery system UNLIKE anything the industry has seen before, and is highly regarded by many industry folks as the future of gaming distro.

Steam not only delivers content, but cuts out the Publisher. Do you know what Publishers do to games? And game release dates? (Remember Valve vs. Vivendi?)
-----

Warning: Use of Narcotics with Steam may induce Paranoia.

I understand when people are worried about their online privacy. I know I am. But Steam is just a video game delivery system. It's nothing that the government or some evil corporation runs. Valve is pretty trusted in this business of gaming. I would imagine if there was some kind of privacy issue with Steam it would have already been made public by now because of how many people use Steam and for how long it's been in use.

Ok, all my friends here seem to think it's ok so perhaps I'll back down a bit. But on the other hand, here comes Oblivion. Perhaps I should just get that and give it a try.

I just bought HL2:GOTY Edition last night, and found the Steam thing a bit annoying. It's taking way too long to load, and want to play it straight off of my discs. Do I have to disable/remove my broadband connection everytime to do so?

Krome said:
I just bought HL2:GOTY Edition last night, and found the Steam thing a bit annoying. It's taking way too long to load, and want to play it straight off of my discs. Do I have to disable/remove my broadband connection everytime to do so?

If you're really that paranoid then yes.

Just play the damn game with an internet connection. Millions of others do, nothing bad happens.

SolidxSnake said:
Just play the damn game with an internet connection. Millions of others do, nothing bad happens.

I'm not paranoid, the problem is that the load times are taking up to a minute. I figured that If I was playing off of the disc, then all that would be avoided?

no, you can't play off of the disc from what I understand. Steam is used to update your game for you and when it finishes then you can just start playing. Not sure why loadtimes are up to a minute unless your PC is a little on the slow side or it is loading a large map/level.

I agree with everyone here. I have been using Steam since Beta. It has helped the online community far more than hurt it. Of course it makes it more difficult for those with 56k, or nearly impossible for those with no internet at all. They did it to cover their butts to prevent piracy, and I applaud them for that. They aren't infringing on your privacy, unless you are paranoid about using the keytag scanners are grocery stores etc too so you don't get sales...

Back