• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hockey Jock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Well I was quite enjoying the demo for NHL 08. The character models are huge and the movements were very realistic...

...then I realized it sucked.

Ahhh... When it was a game...

I realized it sucked after I picked up NHL 2004 for the Xbox.

It's not realistic AT ALL. In fact it seems to be a high definition remake of one of the most popular games of all time NHL 95 (as featured in the career-launching moving Swingers.)

After picking up 2004 for $2.99 cents... it occured to me that the players in NHL 2008 are big... and slow... and stupid. It's probably pretty true-to-life... but that's a little too much realism for me.

Truth-be-told... I don't even like hockey. I don't like sports in General. The only person in the whole game I recognize is Belfour. And that's just because (I believe...) he used to play in Chicago and I recognize him from previous hockey games (a la the aforementioned NHL 95).

I don't know who any of these teams are (I thought "The MIghty DUcks" was just a disney movie...) I don't know what's going on...

But I do know a fun game when I see one. And there's really no point in a F***ing hockey game being "realistic". And, I'd like to add to that, hockey games should only cost about $10 a piece.

There's absolutely nothing to them! You don't get any advanced shots of stadiums or anything like that.. There's no snow... wind... rain... Just a bunch of big guys who look pretty much identical with masks on skating around in circles. Frankly it must only take about a week or two to come out with the new versions of these games.

Anyway... and there is a point to this thread... I was just wondering what the best, modern hockey game is.

best hockey game of all time is a debate....at least to me and my hockey loving friends

NHL 93 for sega genesis (last hockey game to have blood in it)
or
Blades of Steel for NES (just the voice-over in that game is worth $1,000,000)

most recent game that is any good? NONE! they all suck ***, there is always a way to cheat in the game to score...some may know it as "the swoop" or curving from the corner to the front of the net so goalies are out of positions, or just give the puck to Joe Sakic (Colorado Avalanche Captian). Seems as though Don Cherry (CBC hockey analsyst) made the games as "Burnaby" Joe is the man and cannot be stopped. He once actually got credit for a goal that Marek Svatos got clearly, and Sakic WAS ON THE BENCH!

The games rarely change year to year, it is not because EA is lazy...well they are, but because there is no competition and people will buy it each year. That and it is not the most or even the second most popular sport in the USA so why put money into it when they dont get that high of returns.

The characters are glitchy, the goaltending AI is ****! and the realism that you speak of, is not there. I play hockey, have play for the last 17 of almost 19 years of my life. That is not real hockey. Even if you dont watch or "like" hockey (first of all, how dare you not like something so awesome :D), watch a AHL or JR.A or JR.B hockey game, and then try and play a game without spitting on it because its so unrealistic. You cant.

So to answer your question, as of the last 10 years, 0 good hockey games have existed. NHL Hitz 2003 and Hitz Pro (didnt like the 5 on 5 compaired to the old 3 on 3) were good for entertainment (turn on bulldozer puck and play with some friends...quite funny), but other than that. Stick to the golden oldies for Genesis and NES

And i forgot to mention, the reason why the oldest games are the best...because in real hockey you dont have 27 buttons to control yourself, its basically, pass, shoot, deke and get your *** back in the play. if you ever try and pull off a deke through my legs (6'2" 160lbs without full equipment on, and quite the mean streak on the ice) im gonna take you out, theres now way your getting around me that easily

NHL 93 for sega genesis (last hockey game to have blood in it)

Yup that was awesome! I think the only other hockey I played was NHL95 on the SNES.... it was ok too? Other than that I have not played a hockey game since. They're ok I'd just rather play something else. But they are fun with a bunch of friends and some brewskies!

Yup that was awesome! I think the only other hockey I played was NHL95 on the SNES.... it was ok too? Other than that I have not played a hockey game since. They're ok I'd just rather play something else. But they are fun with a bunch of friends and some brewskies!

And such was the point of Swingers...

I'll have to go back and confirm what it was in Swingers... 93 or 94. I guess it must've been 93 since it had blood in it.

But I've had a lot of fun (so far) with NHL 2004. It really is a throwback to simpler days (and what's this about "no competition?" What about the NHL 2k series?) There's only pass, shoot, and deke. Oh... And a turbo button... I really miss turbo buttons.

I refuse to play a sports game that doesn't have a turbo button.

If you don't like modern hockey games you'll love NHL 2004. It really is the closest thing I've seen to the old Genesis games.

EDIT: Gotta love Wikipedia

Swingers
The removal of fights in NHL Hockey 94 was addressed in the 1996 movie Swingers:

Trent: I wish they still had fights in this game so I could *****-slap Wayne.

Mike: What? They don't have fighting anymore?

Trent: Doesn't that suck?

Mike: Why'd they get rid of the fighting? It was the best part of the old version.

Sue: I think kids were hittin' each other or somethin', man.

Trent: Yeah but you know what, Mike? You can make their heads bleed in this one.

Mike: Make somebody's head bleed.

Sue: No man, we're in the playoffs.

Trent: I'm gonna make Wayne Gretzky's head bleed for super-fan #99 over here.

However, this is not completely accurate, as bleeding players were also removed. They also were playing NHLPA Hockey '93 which had blood and fighting but the fighting was strategic and players like Gretzky would not have fought. In the original NHL Hockey, Gretzky was able to fight.

Last edited:
2K series is a little bit of competition, but really, it cannot compair to EA sports' version

i do have nhl 04 also, good game, not one i like to play alot.

and speaking of 2k sports, has anyone seen the commercial for NHL 2K8? it has Spezza in the new Ottawa jersey, and shows other teams new jerseys, but when Turco is in net and in the game, is shows a "new" Stars jersey. If that is the new stars jersey im about to boycott them as my favourite team. All it is, is "Dallas" above the players number. I mean i could see if its just in the commercial like that because it hasnt been revieled yet, but if that is the jersey, Im gonna snap

2K series is a little bit of competition, but really, it cannot compair to EA sports' version

i do have nhl 04 also, good game, not one i like to play alot.

and speaking of 2k sports, has anyone seen the commercial for NHL 2K8? it has Spezza in the new Ottawa jersey, and shows other teams new jerseys, but when Turco is in net and in the game, is shows a "new" Stars jersey. If that is the new stars jersey im about to boycott them as my favourite team. All it is, is "Dallas" above the players number. I mean i could see if its just in the commercial like that because it hasnt been revieled yet, but if that is the jersey, Im gonna snap

Ha! I only know one of those teams... and that's because its the team I just picked. :)

Maybe you heard of this Laline guy... He ROCKS! (At least he did in this game I just won :) )

Sorry, it has to be Blades of Steel for the NES. I played that game right into the damn ground.

What an awesome game. As soon as it makes it to the VC, I'll pick it up :D

NHL is about the only EA sports game worth a damn. I still prefer the 2K version though...

We know our hockey up here..... The Predators weren't in Nashville before I left Tennessee so I liked Anaheim with Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya. Now that I follow Toronto, my favourite player is Matts Sundin..... FYI Eddie Belfour never played for the Blackhawks.

Now that I follow Toronto, my favourite player is Matts Sundin...

Ewe Leafs really? Hmmm... too bad :rolleyes:

Go Canucks! :beer:

Oh and from wiki:

In the 1989-90 season, Belfour began with the Canadian national men's hockey team, but was recalled by the Blackhawks for their postseason and set a 4-2 postseason mark with a 2.49 GAA. The next season, Belfour became the starting goalie, and turned in what many consider to be one of the best rookie seasons in NHL history. He notched 43 victories in 74 games (both NHL rookie and Blackhawk team records)

What was that, Fudge?

I'm sorry... I didn't hear you "SuperFan." :p

hmmmm.... Sorry I thought he went straight from the Nationals to the Stars..... I guess he was around with Chicago and San Jose before that.... my bad.

Rainless, is it Patrick Lalime? A goalie? Because if it is not, then i dont remeber anyone named Laline playing in the NHL or for that fact in any video game.

Fudge, as others have said, yes Belfour got his start in Chicago, i am looking at 2 Belfour masks that are red form his chicago days. Still wish they wouldnt have traded him to San Jose. I remeber the old Chicago Stadium (before the United Centre and its crappy atmosphere) and the roar of the fans chanting "EDDIE! EDDIE! EDDIE!"....ah i wish could have been a little older to enjoy it even more.

and Thund3rball, screw the Canucks! Dallas was robbed in the playoffs. Horrible reffing in game 7. Turco was playing WAY WAY better than Luongo all series.

Rainless, is it Patrick Lalime? A goalie? Because if it is not, then i dont remeber anyone named Laline playing in the NHL or for that fact in any video game.

Fudge, as others have said, yes Belfour got his start in Chicago, i am looking at 2 Belfour masks that are red form his chicago days. Still wish they wouldnt have traded him to San Jose. I remeber the old Chicago Stadium (before the United Centre and its crappy atmosphere) and the roar of the fans chanting "EDDIE! EDDIE! EDDIE!"....ah i wish could have been a little older to enjoy it even more.

I actually AM a little older. I had box seats. Chicago Stadium was a magical place...

Yup Patrick Lalime... 36 Saves. And he's certainly on the Ottawa Senators in NHL 2004 if you want to look him up. Maybe I still have the screen... Gimmie a sec...

EDIT: It was ALFREDSSON that got the first goal.)
Yeah. It was actually Radek Bonk and Chris Phillips that got two of my three goals.

Maybe you can tell me about some of these people? I think I'll take Ottawa into season mode (I like their costumes :D) Do you think they were a good enough team in 2004?

in 04 they were a good team in the game. They collapsed every year in the playoffs in RL except this year.

other good teams in 04, Detroit (like always), Colorado, and New Jersey. Those 4 are usually the best in any hockey game in the last 5 years. Dallas is never a good team sadly, the game creators dont give Turco enough credit as a goalie. He seems to let in anything.

Radek Bonk is a pretty good player, consitant for the most part and the only problem is that he is like most European players, shys away from the hard hitting, grinding hockey.

Chris Phillips is a machine. He isnt really well known since before this years playoff run by the Sens. But is one of the better defensemen in the league in +/- at least. YOu wont get huge plays from him, but you wot get huge mistakes from him.

Patrick Lalime, is a good allaround goaltender, he just needs a steady team in front of him, and needs to break his playoff curse. With the Sens he was always put the blame on if they didnt make it far in the playoffs, when its the entire team that should blame themselves. But in hockey, it ALWAYS come down to the goalie.

and Thund3rball, screw the Canucks! Dallas was robbed in the playoffs. Horrible reffing in game 7. Turco was playing WAY WAY better than Luongo all series.

Luongo was incredible in his first Playoff year. It was the rest of the team that didn't show up to play IMO. Hopefully that'll change this year. That series had the BEST goal tending on both sides!! But I was born and raised a Vancouver fan.

hmmmm.... Sorry I thought he went straight from the Nationals to the Stars..... I guess he was around with Chicago and San Jose before that.... my bad.

NP I won't hold it against you even though you are a Leafs fan too ;)

A million points to anyone who remembers this old favorite... :)

Man all this hockey talk makes me wanna lace up my skates and hit the ice!

I used to play NHL 04 quite a bit but as stated all the new ones blow. I'll just stick to playing pickup hockey on the local rink and going to local Junior games.

hainer36, you & me will have to meet up on the ice someday and see if you can can take me out ;) 6'2 205 > 6'2 160 :p Lol seriously, I play nets, and I block alot of it :)

JDXNC, im up for a challenge anytime. taken guys out double my size :D

cant wait for hockey season to start, NHL and locally. I was in a beer league this summer after not playing during the year. I played ball hockey, but anyone that knows true ice hockey, ball hockey isnt even 1/4th the game ice is

and rainless, i have sega, but ive never seen that game, and honestly i would hate it, there is no need for music in hockey games. You are supposed to make your own commentary up :D and rip on the 2nd player for being so bad

JDXNC, im up for a challenge anytime. taken guys out double my size :D

cant wait for hockey season to start, NHL and locally. I was in a beer league this summer after not playing during the year. I played ball hockey, but anyone that knows true ice hockey, ball hockey isnt even 1/4th the game ice is

and rainless, i have sega, but ive never seen that game, and honestly i would hate it, there is no need for music in hockey games. You are supposed to make your own commentary up :D and rip on the 2nd player for being so bad

Slapshot was GLORIOUS.

Back