• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Holy acidic thermal paste Batman!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it does say not to use on aluminum...

btw, is it me, or is it just stupid to get paste ALL THE WAY to the aluminum of this heatsink... i have it, i couldn't ever get any paste to the sides.

I read an article about a company developing a GPU cooler out of a liquid metal type "not sure witch one" but the idea was ok. The use the liquid metal in a sealed loop to transfer heat to a cooling elemint. The metal gets its motion from 2 small electro magnets on different points in a pulsing configuration driving the metal in one direction. Not sure who was making it but they did state that the cost was a factor for it not being public atm.

MmCheeto said:
I read an article about a company developing a GPU cooler out of a liquid metal type "not sure witch one" but the idea was ok. The use the liquid metal in a sealed loop to transfer heat to a cooling elemint. The metal gets its motion from 2 small electro magnets on different points in a pulsing configuration driving the metal in one direction. Not sure who was making it but they did state that the cost was a factor for it not being public atm.

And it didn't work to well either. I think I saw something like that.

MmCheeto said:

they put that project on hold

I bought 10g of Gallium from ebay for some testing fun :p

But hey, you chemistry/physics majors... I was doing some research and gallium seems to have a VERY low thermal conductivity. 40.6 W as opposed to copper which is ~401?

Would that make it a poor TIM? Gallium /is/ ideal in other senses. It will melt at the heat of your processor, essentially making a wet metal sit between your processor and the heatsink. Favourable, no?

So any idea why their possible gallium-indium-tin liquid metal solution perforsm so well? Or would it be a good conductor of heat still?

Let me know.

--Excelsior

I saw an article in one of the populars, where they showed what happens when Mercury paste is put on Aluminium, they explained that rather than the metls reacting the mercury penetrated the Alu oxide surface that normaly protects aluminum and simply allowed the alu to oxidise (rust) at its normal rate, anodiseing just makes a thicker layer of aluminum oxide. perhaps that is what the gallium is doing to it?

btw, interesting fact, declassified documents show that some paratroupers in WW2 may have been dropped behind enemy lines with Mercury paste to rub on german airplanes (this was before we knew how toxic it was) but no confermation if this plan actually went forth or not.

Back