• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOLY CPU BATMAN!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

christhiessen

Registered
ok, heres the skinny

CPU: AMD athlon 64 x2 4000+ Brisbane 65nm
Mobo: Asus m3n-ht deluxe nvidia nforce780a SLI
Ram:4gb OCZ reaper DDR2 1066
PSU: OCZ 850 watt
Cooling: stock CPU, and 8 Case fans

Ive been doing alot of reading about OC'ing this CPU, and im only trying it cuz i got a AMD phenom 9950 quad core black edition on the way.. so this CPU is expendable. so heres whats happening.

Im OC'ing thru my BIOS. Heres my latest attempt..

FSB: 266
Vcore: 1.30
multiplier: 10.5

Everything else has been been left to auto, including memory timings.

I have torture tested my cpu with burn in 08, 3dmark06, and video games, and all works flawlessly. Idle temps are 32'c ( 89.6'f) and full load are 43'C (109.4'F) respectively... I havent had any blue screens or crashes, after all, at 2.7ghz from 2.1ghz, thats not a HUGE jump. But heres the problem

When i restart or go to reboot, my comp doesnt even POST. it turns on, but no video feed, nothing. So i have to reset my cmos using jumpers, and then it starts right back up, no problem. What am i doing wrong?? Ive been reading that people are getting this same cpu up to 3.0ghz stable.

Thanks guys!

ok, heres the skinny

CPU: AMD athlon 64 x2 4000+ Brisbane 65nm
Mobo: Asus m3n-ht deluxe nvidia nforce780a SLI
Ram:4gb OCZ reaper DDR2 1066
PSU: OCZ 850 watt
Cooling: stock CPU, and 8 Case fans

Ive been doing alot of reading about OC'ing this CPU, and im only trying it cuz i got a AMD phenom 9950 quad core black edition on the way.. so this CPU is expendable. so heres whats happening.

Im OC'ing thru my BIOS. Heres my latest attempt..

FSB: 266
Vcore: 1.30
multiplier: 10.5

Everything else has been been left to auto, including memory timings.

I have torture tested my cpu with burn in 08, 3dmark06, and video games, and all works flawlessly. Idle temps are 32'c ( 89.6'f) and full load are 43'C (109.4'F) respectively... I havent had any blue screens or crashes, after all, at 2.7ghz from 2.1ghz, thats not a HUGE jump. But heres the problem

When i restart or go to reboot, my comp doesnt even POST. it turns on, but no video feed, nothing. So i have to reset my cmos using jumpers, and then it starts right back up, no problem. What am i doing wrong?? Ive been reading that people are getting this same cpu up to 3.0ghz stable.

Thanks guys!

Not every processor and sample is the same. Some just can go higher then others. Mine won't post when i turn the voltage up past 1.5v

:welcome: to the forums!

Warm reboot issues are usually BIOS related. Poke around on the net and see if others seem to be experiencing similar issues with the same BIOS revision.

EDIT: Have you tried a tad more voltage? Also, I would definitely consider a different BIOS revision.

-D

Last edited:
EDIT: Have you tried a tad more voltage?

-D

i have tried up to 1.35, and as low as 1.15. you think going to like 1.4 or so would do it?? I dont understand why it would appear to be stable when loading/testing it, but then seemingly fail upon reboot... ?

Assuming it's not BIOS related:

266MHz HT clock reference would most likely require a NB voltage increase. +.05v for starters.

Did you lower the HTT multiplier from 5 to 4?
Is your RAM running at DDR931? If so, is it capable?

A program called CPU-Z will show current speeds of all parameters and S&M is a great program to quickly test cpu and memory stability. You can get them here:
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_cpu.html

:welcome: to OCF!

The older s939 systems had similar problems on high OC's. My Opty 180 @ 2.8 GHz still won't reboot, though it doesn't require a complete reset like yours, just a cold boot, so I have to turn off the machine and restart instead of rebooting. A huge increase in voltage (0.1v) does solve the problem but for my issue it's just not worth it - I don't reboot that often anyway. And, yes, my system is 100% stable as shown by 2.5 years of 24/7 SETI crunching without a bad work unit. :)

This issue has been discussed many places and the most likely candidate for a cause is peripherals, but there's no good fact to back that up. It's just a random quirk in the way the boards/CPUs interact sometimes ...

Back