• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hooking 2 psus in series or parallel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mauserman48

I want to hook my 2 250 watt psus in series to increase my voltage to 23 volts. Has anyone done this? was also thinking if you can hook them in parallel.. the voltage and amps are the same in both psus.. .Note.. they will not be used in a computer. will be using them as a benchtop lab psu

You can put them in parallel but not series. When you put them in parallel, you may want to place a forward facing diode on the output side in order to not back feed into the PSU. They would very much not like to receive an overcharge, especially during heavy power loading.

In fact it may be better to push them both through an LDO or FET array system so that they can load balance on their own and independently. If two power supplies are in a system and they are not aware of each-other, they both could over step in adding more current on high demand and cause large voltage drops across the device. Any re-drive will most certainly be too much and kill the load.

Back