• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot? Gateway 21inch LCD 8ms 1000:1 $599!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

mntr_FPD2185W_large.jpg

http://accessories.gateway.com/Acce...tnav*consumer*PROD_DETAILS:ACCESSORY:FPD2185W

Aspect Ratio 16:10
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Colors 16.7 million
Connections and Inputs • Analog (VGA): 15-pin mini d-sub VGA
• Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i). Includes HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
• Composite video
• S-Video
• Component Y Pb Pr (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i)
• AC power input
• USB 2.0 B-type (PC input)
• USB 2.0 A-type (PC input)
Contrast Ratio 1000:1
Dimensions (WxHxD) 19.45" x 15.35" x 8.2"
Frequency Horizontal: 31-81 KHzVertical: 56-76 Hz
Lamp Type/Life 50,000 hours
Model Number FPD2185W
OSD Languages English, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese
Panel Size 21-inch diagonal
Panel Type 21-inch viewable
TFT active matrix
S-PVA
Anti-glare coating
Pixel Pitch 0.0106 x 0.0106 inches (0.270 mm x 0.270 mm)
Pixel Resolution 1680 x 1050 (native) (75 Hz)
Response Time 8 ms (gray to gray)
Viewing Angles 178° horizontal, 178° vertical
Weight 18.74 lbs. (includes height-adjustable stand)

there's 16x10 and 16x9; both are widescreen with resolutions supported in a bunch of games.

I went into Best Buy to check this monitor out. I'm definatly getting it. Compared to the 2005fpw, it is way better. I'm hoping for a sale around Christmas.

I currently use this monitor and it is stuning. It has PIP, DVI/HDCP (which will be Vista compatable for future high def,the dell's are not),component,s-video, composite inputs. Playing F.E.A.R. on this monitor with all the eye candy is incredible. $600 is the normal price which technically is not a cyber deal, but is a deal non the less. I did buy a 7800GTX to run the games at the moniyors native res.

Also do not install the EZ Tunes software that comes with the monitor if you have a 7800. you will randomly lose video and get a black screen. I uninstalled the programand no trouble anymore.

Enjoy

Wease, I'm looking into possibly getting this monitor. I also have a 7800gtx, so thanks for the tip. I was eyeing it at work today (I work for geek squad/best buy) and I'm VERY impressed. It looks as good as the hyundai 19" I have, but has a superior viewing angle. For movies it looks on par with my 21" samsung. Now I just need to justify the hassle of reselling my monitors and lose dual capabilities (which I hardly ever use).

The problem I'm having is that Westinghouse sells a 27" lcd with 8ms that looks pretty sweet... and it would only cost me $250 more.

Pinky said:
Wease, I'm looking into possibly getting this monitor. I also have a 7800gtx, so thanks for the tip. I was eyeing it at work today (I work for geek squad/best buy) and I'm VERY impressed. It looks as good as the hyundai 19" I have, but has a superior viewing angle. For movies it looks on par with my 21" samsung. Now I just need to justify the hassle of reselling my monitors and lose dual capabilities (which I hardly ever use).

The problem I'm having is that Westinghouse sells a 27" lcd with 8ms that looks pretty sweet... and it would only cost me $250 more.

check the resolution on that westinghouse. if you want to get hi-res, you need 37" model.

wease said:
I currently use this monitor and it is stuning. It has PIP, DVI/HDCP (which will be Vista compatable for future high def,the dell's are not),component,s-video, composite inputs. Playing F.E.A.R. on this monitor with all the eye candy is incredible. $600 is the normal price which technically is not a cyber deal, but is a deal non the less. I did buy a 7800GTX to run the games at the moniyors native res.

Also do not install the EZ Tunes software that comes with the monitor if you have a 7800. you will randomly lose video and get a black screen. I uninstalled the programand no trouble anymore.

Enjoy

Did you know what you were doing when you got the intermittent black screen? Was this over DVI or VGA? I'm thinking about the 7800GTX as an upgrade but I still want the EzTune features. Are you using any of the extended desktop features within NVidia drivers? Did you try D/L'ing the latest forceware driver set? Another user had a problem with ATI, when they installed the latest Catalyst drivers, their problems went away. Let me know what happend.

Tks,

Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA said:
Did you know what you were doing when you got the intermittent black screen? Was this over DVI or VGA? I'm thinking about the 7800GTX as an upgrade but I still want the EzTune features. Are you using any of the extended desktop features within NVidia drivers? Did you try D/L'ing the latest forceware driver set? Another user had a problem with ATI, when they installed the latest Catalyst drivers, their problems went away. Let me know what happend.

Tks,

Tim-in-CA

What happened was, I put together a new AMD X2 4200+ 2gig ram 2x250gig HD and a PNY OEM boxed 7800gtx with the Gateway 21" widescreen. Installed a fresh copy of XP pro SP2, most recent drivers for all and ALL the XP updates. I was surfing the web then the screen just went blank, I was watching an avi, screen went blank, I would play HL2 screen went blank. When the screen went blank it would just go blank or it would go blank and the monitor would show the message "Video out of range". I initially thought it was a power supply issue to the video card. So I bought a brand new 500W PSU with a dedicated PCI video feed. It still happened. Then I thought it was a defective video card so I rma'd the card and replaced it with a 3D Fusion version of the card, PNY version out of stock. After install of new card, upon the first boot up a meesage came up stating I "hardware configuration change please re install EZ Tunes". Well, I didn't install EZ Tunes yet and a week went by with no Blank screens so I thought I had a defective video card. A few days ago I re-installed the EZ Tunes software and 1/2 hour later blank screen. SO I rebooted and 1 hour later same. I then uninstalled the ez tunes software and have had no problems since. It was very convenient with the ez tunes software and having the auto pivot feature. I loved that. But I would rather have a working computer. It was definitely the software.

EDIT: Blank screen was over DVI as well as vga.
Wease

Last edited:
Pinky said:
Could you explain that in more detail? I assumed 1280x720 was high enough...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6998412&type=product&id=1099396524530

1280x720 won't look too great on the lcd this size unless all you do is watch tv or play games. it's good enough... but if you got used to crt, it will look pixelated when you do anything with text. they have another model, 1366 x 768, btw, for 27".
the other monitors resolution's we talking about:
gateway and dell 21" : 1680 x 1050
dell 24" : 1920x1200
westinghouse 37" : 1920 x 1080

now, 1280x720 would probably be fine for most tasks. i can use my 30" olevia just fine as a monitor. just don't feel cheated when everybody's talking about how high a resolution they get and you stack with 1280x720.

What happened was, I put together a new AMD X2 4200+ 2gig ram 2x250gig HD and a PNY OEM boxed 7800gtx with the Gateway 21" widescreen
I take it you dont deliver pizza's for a living...

Back