• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot? Gateway 21inch LCD 8ms 1000:1 $599!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mcoleg said:
1280x720 won't look too great on the lcd this size unless all you do is watch tv or play games. it's good enough... but if you got used to crt, it will look pixelated when you do anything with text. they have another model, 1366 x 768, btw, for 27".
the other monitors resolution's we talking about:
gateway and dell 21" : 1680 x 1050
dell 24" : 1920x1200
westinghouse 37" : 1920 x 1080

now, 1280x720 would probably be fine for most tasks. i can use my 30" olevia just fine as a monitor. just don't feel cheated when everybody's talking about how high a resolution they get and you stack with 1280x720.

I ended up with the 1280x720 westinghouse 27". It really isn't bad at all. My 19" LCD was 1280 resolution, so I'm used to that scaling. What this affords me is DVD viewing from my couch (my setup is a HTPC). The text size isn't too bad, even when viewing it from the computer desk that it sits on. But you're correct that the text is pixelated.

I tested DVD viewing with Finding Nemo, and it was sharp and vibrant. Playback was smooth (no latency issues). Tested UT2004 (since BF2 requires some modification to play widescreen, and wouldn't even run). UT ran very well and I couldn't see any tearing even though it's only a 27" 16ms screen. :cool:

I just made a long *** post in here about 3 minutes ago, and as usual OCF craps out and it's now all gone. All I did was hit reply and I got the 'page not found' error. It's been doing it all morning. :(

So much for wanting to converse about this monitor.

Pinky said:
I ended up with the 1280x720 westinghouse 27". It really isn't bad at all. My 19" LCD was 1280 resolution, so I'm used to that scaling. What this affords me is DVD viewing from my couch (my setup is a HTPC). The text size isn't too bad, even when viewing it from the computer desk that it sits on. But you're correct that the text is pixelated.

I tested DVD viewing with Finding Nemo, and it was sharp and vibrant. Playback was smooth (no latency issues). Tested UT2004 (since BF2 requires some modification to play widescreen, and wouldn't even run). UT ran very well and I couldn't see any tearing even though it's only a 27" 16ms screen. :cool:

glad it works for you man. at least with 1280x720 you don't need to spend another grand to get your system's speed up to what uber-crazy-high resolution needs :p .

anyone know if Gateway ever has any sales on monitors? It's really between this and the Dell 2005 for me.

mcoleg said:
glad it works for you man. at least with 1280x720 you don't need to spend another grand to get your system's speed up to what uber-crazy-high resolution needs :p .

Unfortunately I can only run BF2 at 800x600 right now. It's an issue with Battlefield 2. No native widescreen support :(.

In other games that do support widescreen it's awesome.

subnet_rx, gateway is pricing this monitor so low I don't think you'll find many deals for it. The cost to retail chains is a little less than $500, so it's not like they have a lot of room for markdown.

aznkc730 said:
i still think the dells are better.

Why? You should always try to back up your statements especially when giving your opinion on something and not stating a fact.

Opinions need supporting evidence in order for them to be worth anything at all.

this monitor has a dvi-d and vga. How would you hook up to a video card?
Get a converter for the dvi-d to dvi-i?

I believe the dvi-d and dvi-i are compatible connectors.

http://www.comsol.com.au/dvi.asp

A dvi-i cable will transmit the signal fine if I'm reading the specifications correctly.

If you have plugs that are DVI-D, they will accept a DVI-D or DVI-I cable. If you have plugs that are DVI-A, they will accept a DVI-A or DVI-I cable. If you have plugs that are DVI-I, they will accept any type of DVI cable.

I’ve been eyeballing the westinghouse 37” at best buy. I even went there and made them hook up a laptop to it just so I could play with it. That is a hella nice screen. The 37” is a “monitor” which means its meant to be used with a computer. It even has the auto shut off feature. I’d have it already but those goons at BestBuy work by the hour so they really couldn’t give a dam if they make a sell or not. Present company always excluded Pinky lol, J/K, if my local BestBuy had an employ that knew as much as Pinky…..well…...they don’t so I’m stuck with idiots.

Oh and the only difference between a DVI-D and DVI-I is that DVI-I caries the analog as well as the digital. DVI-I can do anything a DVI-D can do so long as your monitor will allow a DVI-I cable to plug in to it. I have run in to problems on some monitors where they did not accept the DVI analog pins, thus I could not plug the cable in until I removed the analog pins with a pair of needle nose pliers. Heres a link I found helpful when I was trying to figure it all out.

http://www.cablewholesale.com/index.php?section=Support&body=View of Video

Back