• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot Swap eSata drive on second SATA controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

I recently purchased an external enclosure that supports eSata and I put a 500 GB seagate 7200.10 hard drive in it with plans of being able to hot swap it to my computer.

Currently, my Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard has two sata WD 640GB caviar blacks connected to the first two yellow sata ports on the AMD SB750 ports, running in Raid 0 (bios of course is set to RAID mode. I also have a sata 320 GB hard drive running on the last yellow sata port. I have the "OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Type" set to IDE to support the 320GB drive and everything has run perfectly so far.

I decided to hook up the eSata bracket to the second SATA controller on the motherboard (the gigabyte one with two purple ports). I set the GSATA-II Ctrl option in the BIOS to Enabled.

Now from what I have read, you need to set the Ctrl Mode to AHCI in order to hot swap, but if I set this, I still can't hot swap AND my 320GB hard drive on the OTHER sata controller disappears from my drive list. I was able to boot up into windows still, I assume because the AHCI should only affect drives connected to that controller.

I just want to be able to connect this hard drive like I would through USB and have it immediately detect on connection and function (and vice versa). Currently I can only get it to work if I reboot the computer.

Any ideas how I can get it to hot swap on the second sata controller? Also any ideas why my other 320GB drive seems to be affected by the settings of the second sata controller?

Last edited:
After a lot of messing around last night, now I can't seem to get the external enclosure to show up in my computer or the disc management tool while connected with eSata after booting up. The drive works with USB though. Do I need to do a windows repair install/reinstall to fix this? I would like to have hot swapping, but if I can at least get back to "working when it boots up" that would suffice.

aaand problem solved. Even though it was detected before and windows installed everything when I activated the GSATA ports, I installed the GSATA RAID driver while in windows and after a reboot, my 320GB storage drive was back and my external 500GB is hot swapping :D

Back