• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Houston we have a problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kcscott11

Registered
I ordered a 970a-ud3p. I got it used like a tard. Couldn't get it to post so obviously I've been diagnosing it... Memory tested good, BIOS speaker good all 3 video cards tested on it work, and I tried two different CPUs on it the new one I bought for which is a fx 8300 and the known working sempron I had put up. Anyways 2 days and countless hours later I really started examining this board in the best lighting I could find and I figured it out. Bored is screwed. The ICS xxxxxxx chip that is on it which is between the two pcie slots is fried. It literally has a small hole burned in it. This chip is a "clock generator" my GUESS is someone was doing some over clocking and over did it... What do y'all think?

Attachments

• KIMG0195.JPG
    KIMG0195.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 56
Thing is I don't have another rig compatible with the processors... Y'all think they survived whatever the board is doing... I tested all the other components and they were silk working...

Well it sure sounds like the board is dead, hard to tell from the photo but it sure does look like it has signs of burning on it. Can it be returned?

Yes it's definitely a failure. I used a knife and gently slid it across that chip and when it hit that spot it sinks down a bit and the sound changes... It's a hole. It's going back asap.

Back