• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are my temps looking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DefR

Hey guys. A bit confused about my cpu temps. As of Right now my cpu is idling (or close to idling) at 32 deg (2600k not oc with a hyper 212). My graphics card (6970) is sitting at 33ish.

I did a prime95 test and my cpu didn't hit higher than 50-51 after about 5-10 mins. Should I be worried at all?? I was planning on ocing my 2600k to around 4.5 but am a bit worried now.

I'd rather not mess with my heatsink anymore, as the 212 for some reason was a complete ***** to get on. Are these temps perfectly fine? Room temp around 20-22 btw. Oh and mobo temp is around 30!

Hey guys. A bit confused about my cpu temps. As of Right now my cpu is idling (or close to idling) at 32 deg (2600k not oc with a hyper 212). My graphics card (6970) is sitting at 33ish.

I did a prime95 test and my cpu didn't hit higher than 50-51 after about 5-10 mins. Should I be worried at all?? I was planning on ocing my 2600k to around 4.5 but am a bit worried now.

I'd rather not mess with my heatsink anymore, as the 212 for some reason was a complete ***** to get on. Are these temps perfectly fine? Room temp around 20-22 btw. Oh and mobo temp is around 30!

Those temps are perfectly for stock. Remember, you idle temperatures can never be lower than the ambient room temp. Well... unless you're on extreme forms of cooling like dry ice and liquid nitrogen.

50-51C is great for stock and for that cooler. The Sandybridge chips max temp listed by Intel is 71.4C. When overclocking, I like to say mid 70'sC is safe. Anything above 75C for 24/7 is a little high for a 24/7 overclock in my personal opinion. You shouldn't be worried at all.

You can easily overclock your 2600K to 4.5GHz with that cooler. Maybe even higher depending on how much voltage your chip takes to get to certain speeds. You will be fine overclocking with the 2600K with your current temps. Keep the voltage under 1.4v for a 24/7 overclock, the temps under 75C for a 24/7 overclock, and you are golden.

Motherboard temp around 30C is normal. That is what my board lists as it's temperature.

Those temps are great.
what is it your using to monitor them?

and why are you confused about?

Oh well I thought gpu was meant to run a fair bit hotter than the cpu, which it isn't really and I've seen others with hyper 212 get temps lower than mine (29 ish). I guess I just wanted to get the nod of approval before I oc. Was a bit concerned to as I live in Australia and in summer we get temps of around 40 degrees.

Just a seperate question, Idle cpu temp is when you close all programs and just let the computer sit for 5 mins or so, or is there another way of doing it (am a noob)?

I'm using MSI after burner for gx and my z68 asrock utility program to get cpu/mobo temps

Thanks.

idle is when your processor is around 0% load. Load temps is when its 100% in use. and older gpus used to be alot hotter but have cooled down recently. what gpu you got?

Oh well I thought gpu was meant to run a fair bit hotter than the cpu, which it isn't really and I've seen others with hyper 212 get temps lower than mine (29 ish). I guess I just wanted to get the nod of approval before I oc. Was a bit concerned to as I live in Australia and in summer we get temps of around 40 degrees.

Just a seperate question, Idle cpu temp is when you close all programs and just let the computer sit for 5 mins or so, or is there another way of doing it (am a noob)?

I'm using MSI after burner for gx and my z68 asrock utility program to get cpu/mobo temps

Thanks.

I don't know if the GPU is supposed to run hotter or not. GPUs run hot anyways.

Idle temp is just when the computer is not under any load at all. For example, a load is a game, a stress test, a benchmark, a video editing program... You get the idea, the list goes on and on. Idle is when there is no load on the CPU.

As for monitoring temperatures, do not use the Asrock ultility. Do yourself a favor and download RealTemp and use it. :)

idle is when your processor is around 0% load. Load temps is when its 100% in use. and older gpus used to be alot hotter but have cooled down recently. what gpu you got?

Powercolor 6970

I don't know if the GPU is supposed to run hotter or not. GPUs run hot anyways.

Idle temp is just when the computer is not under any load at all. For example, a load is a game, a stress test, a benchmark, a video editing program... You get the idea, the list goes on and on. Idle is when there is no load on the CPU.

As for monitoring temperatures, do not use the Asrock ultility. Do yourself a favor and download RealTemp and use it. :)

Thanks mate. dling now

Just downloaded it, it seems my 1st core runs a fair bit hotter than the rest.

Idle is about:
34, 28, 26-27, 27-28

Minimums being:
33, 27, 26, 26

that could be anything from thermal paste thickness, uneven tension on cpu cooler, or you have more running on that core. if its an issue, try reseating your heatsink xD

that could be anything from thermal paste thickness, uneven tension on cpu cooler, or you have more running on that core. if its an issue, try reseating your heatsink xD

Yeah. Try reseating your Hyper212+. But, make sure to thoroughly remove the thermal paste. I use rubbing alcohol to help clean the top of the CPU/bottom of the heatsink, only because I am cheap and don't want to buy Arctic Silver's TIM removing compounds.

Also, when you reseat your heatsink, try and use high quality thermal paste this time around... well, if you aren't already. Try using MX-4, or Arctic Silver 5.

34 vs 26 is 8C, so a bit higher, if it's 10C diff then we ask you to redo it. When you were recording idle temps did you have the Windows task manager open an look what the cores are doing? Could of been a background task working core 0.

Also, idle temps matter very very little. You need to run prime 95 for 10 minutes and record your coretemp.

That fluctuation in idle core temperature is completely normal. Heck, my 2600k's high and low cores are a full 6C apart at almost all times...

I would still recommend reseating the heatsink with some high-quality thermal paste. If it's already mounted with thermal paste then there's not much that can be improved with your idle temps/load temps. Use the "pea" method when applying paste; put a little pea sized glob in the middle and let the pressure of the heatsink spread it.

That fluctuation in idle core temperature is completely normal. Heck, my 2600k's high and low cores are a full 6C apart at almost all times...

I would still recommend reseating the heatsink with some high-quality thermal paste. If it's already mounted with thermal paste then there's not much that can be improved with your idle temps/load temps. Use the "pea" method when applying paste; put a little pea sized glob in the middle and let the pressure of the heatsink spread it.

BTW pea method might not be the best for the 212+ since it uses direct contact pipes.

BTW pea method might not be the best for the 212+ since it uses direct contact pipes.

Good point. I didn't even think about that. I'm curious to know because I use a Hyper212+ on my 965BE which is my Linux server.

Maybe a line directly across the IHS? Or the spreading method? I'll look in the documentation right now that came with mine and see if it says anything and if it does, I'll edit it in this post.
EDIT: No info on TIM placement in the Hyper212+ manual... :-/
EDIT 2: Did some googling and it looks like there's a bunch of different methods for putting TIM of heatsinks that are HDT (like the Hyper212+). Some spread it, some still do the standard pea... Why can't their be a perfect way to do it? :shrug:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I don't think it's the heatsink. I think it's just my computer using the first core. As my load temps on all cores are a lot closer together.

Back