• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how bad is it to get thermal paste on your hand

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure I have ever been able to not get it on my hands. Just kidding, just wash it off I have gotten it on me more times than I care to admit and it hasn't killed me yet although the wife keeps getting her hopes up.

I'm not sure I have ever been able to not get it on my hands. Just kidding, just wash it off I have gotten it on me more times than I care to admit and it hasn't killed me yet although the wife keeps getting her hopes up.

lol so I'm fine?

Doesn't even matter, long as you don't put it in your eye or eat it or anything...it probably didn't come all the way off though, does it still feel paste.......yyyyy? It'll come right off with isopropyl, I use 70%, but that's just cause that's what I have around.

Doesn't even matter, long as you don't put it in your eye or eat it or anything...it probably didn't come all the way off though, does it still feel paste.......yyyyy? It'll come right off with isopropyl, I use 70%, but that's just cause that's what I have around.

i used a brillow pad cause I was scared lol

Rofl, nah man. Don't worry. I actually use a finger to spread it sometimes. (not a very efficient way to go about it though)

You'll be fine, it doesn't have anything super nasty in it.
Don't eat it.
Don't eat with a finger that has it on it.

It probably wouldn't kill you or even really do much if you did, but i'm sure you're better off not eating it.

Substances that'll kill you via skin contact are fairly rare, and generally quite well marked.

I lolz when I read this...if its bad then I'd be dead, I'm messy!

Nah it's fine, when I took off thermal paste I tried cleaning the card I used to spread it and it got all over the sink and my fingers.

Stupid me :bang head

Whenever you need information about any chemical, consult the Material Safety Data Sheet, or MSDS. This document is required by OSHA for all chemicals. The MSDS for AS5 may be found here. You can get more information about how to read an MSDS here.

Of course, this type of informative post would not be complete without an image of the effects of constant exposure to AS5:

bat-boy.jpg

;)

Like everyone else said it would be fine just wash it off.

You know, I have yet to find someone who as eaten this stuff so no one is really sure on the major affects. You could try it and let us know, if you don't reply back we will assume the worst :salute:

After working on and with aircraft for 8 years, I can guarentee that I have handled much worse substances than TIM, and no issue so far.

+1 on the MSDS.

Most chemicals that you can buy without a liciense wont hurt you if you accidently handle it.

With certain genotypes it has been known to cause skin to glow in the dark, thus contributing to insomnia.

Last edited:
If you accidentally eat it, wash it down with whiskey -100 proof - or rum, 150 proof.

Hey - it works for cpu's, right?

Back