• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I fix WinRAR Error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonahconrad

Hi,
I have an evaluation copy of Win RAR in my Windows 2003 server.
Today I tried to unzip a file which is around 7 GB in size, after completing the unzip I am getting an error "The file currept". I am doing the same for the last couple of weeks.

What will be root cause of this problem.

Please advice

As the error states, the file is corrupt, there is nothing you can do to fix it unless you have a backup. To see if any of the contained files are recoverable, open the file in WinRAR, click the "Extract To" button, check the "Keep broken files" checkbox, and let it do the extract. You will want to verify the integrity of the extracted files, of course.

ZYLI6vI.png

It could also be you do not have enough free hard drive space to decompress the file. WinRar by default will uncompress the file(s) to a temporary location (normally the Windows \temp folder), and then copy the file to the designated location you choose. If you are trying to Unrar the file(s) to the same hard drive that the \temp folder is located on, then you will need a little more then 2x the total decompressed file(s) size space free on that drive. For example, if the file you are trying to unzip is 7GB in size after decompressing, then you will need 14GB+ free space on the drive.

I still don't understand why WinRar does not have the option in the program itself to decompress directly to the selected destination, however, the command line version does allow you to do just that. You'll have to google the command (and the file if its not included in WinRar, but I believe it is) for the syntax and switches to use to do just that. This way, it will not decompress to the \temp folder, and then copy to the destination, but decompress straight to the destination, which means you would only need enough free space available as the size of the file(s) take up.

Back